Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4

arctictropical(Z4)August 22, 2013

This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water and nitrogen, my ensete bananas are growing like weeds! Can't wait to see how big they get by the end of the season. My son is in the picture. He is 6 feet tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Your yard is looking as awesome as always! Still trying to get my Ensete to grow to half the size of yours.
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 1:20AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Where are you located, and what do you do with them in winter?

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:17AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Thanks, Alex. Bill, I'm in northern Utah near Logan. After a killing frost (usually about the end of September or first week in October if I'm lucky) I chop them off to a 4-6' stump, dig them up and repot them in 15 gallon nursery pots, and stick them in an unlit unheated basement room. They eventually go dormant and stay dormant until Spring. I only water them once during winter. They retain their water quite well. Once I bring them out into the light and heat, they start growing again. Then I repot them out into my yard in May. I've done this for at least 10 years. It works every year! And they get bigger every year. What awesome plants! They love lots of water and fertilizer. I give them plain old ammonium sulfate and milorganite.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 5:11PM
poaky1

I've planted one, in spring. It is only about 4 ft so far. There isn't much more time for it to get a lot bigger. Has anyone mulched a lot and wrapped with burlap or some other cloth, or porotected and didn't dig up the purple ensete banana? I must add did you succeed with this in zone 6 or colder?

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:41PM
delreytropical(6)

Woww!!! love itt

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:48PM
poaky1

I guess I will have to uproot it, it is supposed to be zone 8 hardy, my zone 6 will kill it.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 1:41AM
paulah-gardener(6)

Poaky, I am in zone 6 Illinois Have been covering our banana clump for the last 4 years. First we cut them back to 3' slip insulation around them loosely enclose all with fence taller than the bananas. Continue adding insulation. tarp it. Works for Us. Paula

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 8:55AM
poaky1

Paulah-gardener, Are the bananas you cover Musa basjoo? Or are they Ensete or other zone 8 ish nanners? i can grow musa Basjoo easily in zone 6 Pa. If you are growing Ensete or other zone 7 or 8 hardy bananas without digging them up, I am interested. Sorry, but the Musa Basjoo are easily grown in zone 6 with no protection. So come on, Ensete banana growers, who have protected them (zone 8) in the ground, tell me how you protected them over harsh winter low temperatures.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 1:00AM
poaky1

Okay, So, Paulah-gardener, maybe you mean the Ensete? I guess you haven't seen this question? I love the no dig option.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:08AM
arctictropical(Z4)

This year's pics of the same flower bed.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
DueanGross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™