Palmate plant in zone 5-6.

poaky1August 24, 2013

My dog has gotten diagnosed with diabetes. I went several days to visit him and noticed a house along the country road to the vet hosp had a plant in summer that was PALMATE. KIt wasn't a Japanese Maple, BUT HAD PALMATE LEAVES WITH PURPLE BERRIES. So what is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Could it be a Castor Bean (Ricinus) plant? If you could get a photo it would help. How tall was it?

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:48AM
poaky1

I just went today to get 2 more bottles of insulin for my pooch. It is probably Castor bean. The leaves are Purple and about 4-5 ft tall in AUGUST. I have heard of them being used as tropical looking garden plants. I also know they are poisonous. We have lots of cats and dogs, so I won't use them near the house. I was thinking that maybe it was Rhubarb, but it isn't Rhubarb. I need to get a Japanese maple next spring. Aldi's has them for about $13.00 in early spring.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 1:27AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Yes they are poisonous but no more so than many other common plants like yew, ivy, lily-of-the-valley and wisteria, to name just a few. They just seem to have gotten more bad press than some other plants. I don't think a pet would eat the seeds anyway.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 12:23PM
poaky1

Thanks Bill, I have a couple of the plants mentioned none of our cats got into them. It looks like the same plant I saw. I will need to remove the berries though. We have cats that prowl the yard, those berries are pretty large..

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 12:47AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Cats are smart enough not to eat them though. Funny I forgot you mentioned Rhubarb in one of your posts, and the leaves of those are poisonous too. So are daffodils......and the list goes on. Anyway, Castor beans do add a definite tropical effect as summer annuals. Cannas also produce a nice tropical look, but you have to dig the rhizomes out every fall. They store easily in a paper bag in a cool (not freezing) dark, dry place. I keep mine in the basement. There are many varieties with all colors of flowers, and many with beautiful leaves too.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
need home for a large brugmansia
I have a large ( over 6 x 6') plant that I need to...
michaelzz
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Growing a tropical plum in Zone 5
I bought and planted a Golden plum tree I bought locally....
Weylynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™