Watering my tropicals

firefightrsflameAugust 12, 2007

Hi all,

I've been really working hard on my back yard tropicals and palms the past 3 months.

Right now, I believe I have most everything getting on the right track watering-wise. Slowly, everything is starting to turn around and get a bit greener. Found out I wasn't getting enough water to my plants and palms. So now I want to make sure my tropicals are on the right track.

Anywho...I could use some more tips/advice from everyone here regarding some of my plants. They include philodendron, calla lilies, canna tropicana, small bird of paradise, new zealand flax.

What I've been learning so far about my other plants/palms is deep infrequent watering is good for the health of the plant. Is this true for the above mentioned plants as well?

Currently, I have my drip irrigation set to 1hr every 3 days. Most on a 1 or 2gph emitter. I am slowly playing with the time depending on the results I see from growth in the plants/palms. Proceeding with caution so to speak since they where in a bad shape prior to me learning all this stuff. Does this sound like a good amount for these plants? More? Less? They're all in ground on a 5ft block wall (good drainage) mixed with my queen palms. The canna are unstoppable and have showed no signs of problems. The others have had it rough since I had no idea they weren't getting the amount of water needed. Now, they're all starting to show some spark and I don't want to ruin a good thing.

I hope i am not talking in circles as it's late here! Thanks again for your help! - Terra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suprdude

1 or 2gph emitter is good; one gallon is probably fine. Mine did so much better when I stopped watering by hand, but it's a pain to set up drips...

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firefightrsflame

what about the amount of time on the plants, is it good or do you suggest more water?

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™