White flies and aphids on my Elephant ears!!

greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)August 22, 2010

I have been growing EE's in pots on my deck for several summers now. Recently I discovered one of them has aphids and white flies. I see no real damage, and am assuming it's because of the thickness of the leaves, but I want to get rid of them anyway. I have used Agway fruit tree spray for any and all diseases on my plants for years and it works wonderfully-cures just about anything. But will it hurt these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

Any insecticide will work. Also, move the pots to an area where there is more wind.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magickiwi(Zone 5 Michigan)

I have used an old tried and true method for dealing with both white fly and aphids on about every plant you can think of. Al I do is take a spray bottle and add equal parts water and rubbing alcohol - adding a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid (NOT antibacterial). Spray away being sure to get the spray into all the cracks and crevasses. I have even gone so far as to give a plant a swift kick and spray into the air above it and the white flies drop like .... well ... flies. I don't use insecticides. This has worked for years. Usually I only get bugs on things when I have brought in new plants to my garden. If I also spray down the surface of the soil in flower pots, add an inch of sand and then spray down again I usually don't see any more bugs.again. Hope this helps.
Cheers from Kalamazoo MI

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
Growing a tropical plum in Zone 5
I bought and planted a Golden plum tree I bought locally....
Weylynn
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™