White flies and aphids on my Elephant ears!!

greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)August 22, 2010

I have been growing EE's in pots on my deck for several summers now. Recently I discovered one of them has aphids and white flies. I see no real damage, and am assuming it's because of the thickness of the leaves, but I want to get rid of them anyway. I have used Agway fruit tree spray for any and all diseases on my plants for years and it works wonderfully-cures just about anything. But will it hurt these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

Any insecticide will work. Also, move the pots to an area where there is more wind.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magickiwi(Zone 5 Michigan)

I have used an old tried and true method for dealing with both white fly and aphids on about every plant you can think of. Al I do is take a spray bottle and add equal parts water and rubbing alcohol - adding a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid (NOT antibacterial). Spray away being sure to get the spray into all the cracks and crevasses. I have even gone so far as to give a plant a swift kick and spray into the air above it and the white flies drop like .... well ... flies. I don't use insecticides. This has worked for years. Usually I only get bugs on things when I have brought in new plants to my garden. If I also spray down the surface of the soil in flower pots, add an inch of sand and then spray down again I usually don't see any more bugs.again. Hope this helps.
Cheers from Kalamazoo MI

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™