What size raised beds?

tampasteve(9)February 24, 2009

Hey folks, I've been getting tons of great information and advice since I joined, and want to thank everyone for that.

However, I have a question regarding the size of raised beds, that I haven't seen an answer to.

I am planning on around twenty beds so I can grow enough for the market (yes, I have a very big back yard.) I was going to keep all my beds a uniform 4ft x 8ft, and just turn some to where the long side was facing north so I could grow more than two tomato plants per bed.

But then I ask myself "how are you going to get to the tomatoes on the middle plants that are facing the middle of the bed?" I'd have to try and reach through the trellis netting.

Should I make those beds long and narrow, say 12ft x 3ft, or 12 x 2? Or should I just make a uniform row of 4x8 beds, and just plant two tomato plants on the north end of each bed? The second option would probably be more esthetically pleasing and help with succession planting, but having a bed of just tomatoes or just squash, etc may have it's own advantages.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

If it were me I would probably go with the unform sized beds. Plan your garden layout first, THEN worry about bed layout. You can always plant tomatoes on the south end of beds and shade loving items on the north side. Besides, with 4' of space, you have room to underplant the tomatoes with herbs, marigolds, onions, or other small sun lovers.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 5:59PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I like 3" wide as it lets you work from both sides of the bed comfortably. They can be as long as you want. If you figure 3 sq." per plant just compute the length in multiples of 3 plus an extra foot on each end.

Otherwise, if you are going to use "trellis netting" of sort let it determine the width. How do you plan to rig up this netting stuff?

Dave

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 6:14PM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

2 plants per 4x8 bed? Are you serious? I fit ten plants (2 rows of 5) in a 4x12 bed comfortably WITH crw cages. You can easily fit six plants in those. If you make them 3 feet wide you cant fit 2 rows and 4 foot wide beds can easily be worked from both sides.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 6:23PM
tampasteve(9)

Dave, HD has 5'x 8' trellis netting for $3.89. It's soft, so it doesn't cut the vines when the wind blows them. I use 1/2" metal electrical conduit as a frame. I just drive two pieces of rebar into the ground, and slide the frame over that, then tie the netting to the frame.

Here's a photo of my winter garden, from mid-Decmeber. It's dark outside right now, but I'll try to remember and take a photo tomorrow so you can see the whole frame.

The boards to the side were used to hold down the plastic sheeting I put over the garden the night before when we had a freeze warning.

jtcm, I meant 2 plants on a 4' end. Sorry for the confusion. I want to be able to train at least some of each plant vertically.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 6:34PM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

ok then. 2 would fit fine then.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 7:47PM
tampasteve(9)

Oh, I forgot to ask: How deep should I make these beds, seeing as how there's nothing but fire ants going to penetrate this yard. The builder of this subdivision back in the 1990s just plopped sod on top of the hardpan here. The first bed (pictured above) is 8". Is that deep enough for tomatoes?

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 9:23PM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

Not really for indeterminates. The deeper the better. I use a minimum of 10", preferably 12.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™