? about Theobroma cacao seed

karyn1(7a)January 24, 2009

I've always cleaned away the pulp and peeled the "skin" off of cacao seeds before planting. I was wondering if it was necessary to peel them? It would certainly be easier to just wipe off the pulp then plant them. If they are planted without peeling will they get moldy and will I end up with a greenhouse full of fruit flies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

If no one answers you here be sure to ask over on the tropical fruits forum, someone over there prob knows for sure and give you a quicker answer. I'm sure you prob can't wait forever for an answer with those kinds of seeds lol.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 7:37PM
karyn1(7a)

I decided to give it a try and they were covered with a blueish mold almost immediately. I don't know if the mold would have damaged the seed or not but I didn't want to wait and then end up with fruit flies so I lifted them. The seeds looked fine once I peeled them. They are just such a PITA to peel. lol

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 6:43AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Ick! I hate the blue mold. I hope you get some nice seedlings. I had some a few yrs ago but planted them outside. I didn't take the skin off then but I had no clue what I was doing then lol. They died when I moved to AZ they hated the lack of humidity. I should order some more seeds.
Do you also grow the vanilla orchid?

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 9:54AM
karyn1(7a)

I had good sized barbellata and planifolia vanilla orchids until the greenhouse freeze over New Year's. I'm fairly sure they are dead but I haven't tossed them yet. A couple of my orchids have a little life left in them.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™