KBX reversion to regular leaf

macmaterFebruary 26, 2012

I planted seeds for KBX several weeks back. The resultant seedlings have grown rapidly and now I find that one of them is a regular leaf plant instead of potato leaf. I am 100% certain that I did NOT mix up seed. However, there is always the possibility that a stray or crossed seed could have been included in the package I purchased. Ignoring that possibility, what are odds that a KBX potato leaf plant will revert to regular leaf? And if it does, would it be proper to call either the regular leaf plant or seed saved from it Kellogg's Breakfast?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

macmater, I'm not an expert but I can't resist chiming in here.

The KBX entry at Tatiana's TOMATObase discusses this issue. Apparently something less than 2-3% of KBXs revert to RL (proving that the issue of leaf type is much more complex than we usually think).

At this stage, you don't know if you have a stray seed (mixed in at the grower or packager's -- could be any RL), a KBX cross (with who-knows-what!) which occurred at the grower's, or an actual RL KBX.

You'd need to grow out your plant and compare everything to a normal KBX to see if you have an actual RL KBX or something else.

In any case, the chance that your RL plant is a Kellogg's Breakfast is almost nil (only if a stray Kellogg's Breakfast seed somehow made its way into your packet). Leaf type is not the only difference between the two varieties.

KBX at Tatiana's

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 7:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DTray

I had the same thing happen to me when i planted KBX a few weeks back. I am pretty certain I did not have any stray seeds. I was wondering the same thing as you too. So I am growing it out and going to compare.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™