Red Ginger Lily

flowergirl2010January 21, 2010

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a plant or a rhizome of the red ginger lily (Alpina purpurata) in Canada> I love tropicals and this is one of my absolute favourites.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Alpinia purpurata is extremely difficult to grow outside of zone 10. It languishes greatly during winter months, even if protected. It is difficult to grow even in a container in a heated greenhouse during my zone 9 winter. The blooms, when container grown, have never reach the true size of the bloom where grown in situ and are ugly looking. Temperatures below 50, even for a few hours, can kill it plus it needs constant high humidity. I've been trying to grow this ginger for years and it has always disappointed me. With that said, there are several US internet nurseries that sell this alpinia. Gardino's in Florida(www.rareflora.com), Aloha Tropicals in CA, both sell these gingers and might ship to Canada. Most US nurseries have stopped selling this alpinia as it even struggles for survival in deep south Florida.

Steve

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 3:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_dr(SEQLD AUST)

Perhaps you could try Hedychium gardnerianum which has red flowers in the fall and is much hardier than the Alpina. The plant is of the same general habit as the Alpina but much easier to grow.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Worsleya Procera seeds
I have been looking for Worsleya Procera seeds for...
jadesga1
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™