What 's making EE's flop?

DISSmith(z8b SC)August 30, 2006

I have 3 Elephant Ears plants in part to nearly full shade that I just planted in early July. They've been doing great and putting out new growth, but the past few days I've noticed some of the lower leaves/shoots(?) have flopped over at a point 'bout 4" from the ground. Not the little ones just coming up but bigger ones, which look fine (no wilting or spots) but just have flopped over to the ground. I thought I was watering them alot - maybe too much, basically every day. now I'm not sure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elphaba_gw

It's my experience that you can't water elephant ears too much. I replanted mine last year after a hurricane had whipped them around pretty badly and they looked scragly. I put unfinished compost (mainly kitchen scraps such as cobs from corn on the cob, onion and other veggie peelings, etc.) in the bottom of the hole before I put the bulbs (or korms?) back in and covered with dirt. Boy howdy! did they ever like that compost. They have never grown so big and strong. I'm wondering if yours need some good fertilizer, maybe fish emulsion or manure or something very organic. Try giving them a BUNCH of rich fertilizer of some kind. That's my advice. Maybe coffee grinds from Starbucks (which they give away for free)? I don't think it can hurt. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 12:02AM
DISSmith(z8b SC)

I put coffee grinds on my Gardenias but it hadn't occurred to me to try 'em on EEs. I actually haven't fertilized these plants at all since they went into the ground so I will try your suggestions. Thanks for the reply!

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 11:32AM
master_gardner_nick(zone 9 fla)

definitely from water stress....ee's will grow "in"water if you let them....they flop when they dry out, even for a day...good luck

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 8:13AM
DISSmith(z8b SC)

Thanks Nick!

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
DueanGross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™