Tree Dahlia ( Dahlia imperialis)

ifraser25(z11 Brazil)January 7, 2014

I got about 50 seeds to germinate about 6 months ago and the plants are already quite big, up to about 4 feet (over a meter). I am giving a lot away to folks and some are asking me for advice. The trouble is, I've never grown it before! I know it gets pretty large. Can it be pruned, if so when is the best time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

If you prune it, you will likely not get blooms for the season. They should begin to produce sweet potato-like tubers before long, and it will be a perennial in your area (as it is in my zone).

I grow it and it doesn't bloom for me until late November. If you have that many, try pruning a couple and see what happens.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RaTaHo(10a)

Several decades ago I collected seeds on an upland hillside in Guatemala that was completely covered with a profusion of pink dahlia blossoms. I still have one aged clump growing in my backyard as a result. Annually, it grows to about twelve feet before it self prunes back to human size. I'm seldom around in the winter months, but when I have been, the November/December bloooms are a real show (until the winds hit--hence, self-pruning). When I have purposely pruned the plant during the growth season for one reason or another, I have noticed no slowing in growth, only forced branching. Flower production has only been impacted when bud bearing branches were topped.

Just as a note of interest, my surviving plant's siblings and progeny can be found in several locations throughout Ventura County. Two in particular are doing quite well, one at Seaside Park (The Ventura County Fairgrounds) and another in the workyard of one of our local stonemason coops. The last time I saw the second of these, it was over twenty feet tall and in full bloom. It had the ideal location in full sun next to a two story construction.

I like what Kayjones says about experimenting. It's worth a try.

Happy growing, RTH

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow the Tree Dahlia--Dahlia imperialis

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
gribbleton
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™