Latest pic of 14' outdoor Trachy, zone 4

arctictropical(Z4)September 16, 2010

"Baby", my 14' outdoor Trachy that grows about a foot each year in zone 4, is doing well!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threas(z7 PA)

That's awesome, Kevin! Nice photo! Congratulations on your success!

Theresa

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 7:00PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Thanks, Theresa! Do you grown any palms in PA? I have a son and his young family in Pittsburgh, going to school. It's a nice place. Are you in East or West PA? I love Long Wood Gardens, west of Philadelphia. It's my favorite Botanical Garden in the whole world!

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 11:59PM
stgawne

That is awesome I have some pics of my bananas that I'm growing in michigan zone 5-6. You should check out my tropical page on flickr. I live in zone 5-6 and tried tons of tropicals this year and will be trying to overwinter them different ways this year. http://www.flickr.com/groups/northerntropicalplants/ join the group and post pictures and messages

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 9:19AM
threas(z7 PA)

Kevin, I live 15 min. from Philadelphia International Airport in the burbs. I am very familiar with Longwood Gardens! I'm about 45 minutes away.
I have not tried to grow any palma yet. Hoping to do so soon. I love tropical look gardens. I planted Musa Basjoos this spring. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that they overwinter successfully. I'll post some pix of my little tropicalesque garden soon.

Theresa

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 4:55PM
threas(z7 PA)

stgawne, love your little tropical paradise!!! It's amazing how it fills in, isn't it? Love the papyrus!
Do you leave the banana inground in the front of the house?

Theresa

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 5:20PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Here's some different pics of the 3 outdoor palms, plus one of the banana garden:

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 5:45PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Your plants are looking beautiful as always!!! Whats the green variety of banana?
Your yard is looks extremely nice and tropical! How much longer before the first frost in your area?
Thanks for sharing!!!
-Alex

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 9:55PM
threas(z7 PA)

Kevin, your palms and other plants are beautiful. Love the mountains in the background. You have a lot of work ahead, getting ready for winter. I don't even know where to start! LOL How do you overwinter your cannas?

Theresa

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 6:03AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Alex, I have about 4 different varieties of musa, in addition to the reddish colored ensete. I saw frost on the lawn and garden 3 different days the first part of September, but luckily it just touched the edges of my squash plants, canna and elephant ears. Now we are having record breaking heat, so I'm celebrating! Usually we have had a hard killing frost by now, but it looks like we will escape a September killing frost. It may happen the first week in October, but don't know yet. Theresa, your comment in correct. Lot's of work ahead. I have to dig every single canna and elephant ear. It takes a whole month of spare time to dig them and store them all.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
Needle palm protection in zone 6
I will post a pic of the palm in a day or 2. I am hoping...
poaky1
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
brandon_the_random
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
Sponsored Products
50-inch Long Strap Curved Back Steel Park Bench
Overstock.com
Averbach Wall-Mount Gas Lantern - 23"
Signature Hardware
Bexley Frame Black Outdoor Pillow
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Luxor Small Platinum Gold Outdoor Wall Mount
$115.95 | Bellacor
Radiax 2700K 35-Degree 21-Watt LED Bronze Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Dixie Seating 3 pc. Slat Rocking Chair Set with Side Table - White - 67/1618WHIT
$429.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™