musa basjoo Plant NOW ?

heygeno(z5 oh)September 20, 2012

I just got a couple of 8" plants and am wondering if I should keep in pots and winter inside for now...or plant in the ground ?......anyone live in Columbus Ohio that I could talk with ?

Thanks, Geno

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

keep inside. Your temps in ohio would turn a basjoo into popsicle in no time. plant in spring time.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 2:20PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I too would keep them inside until you can give them a good head start to grow deeply into the ground starting from the beginning of spring.

Also since you are going to keep them inside for the winter, give them lots of light and watch for spider mites. Spider mites eat these leaves like candy.

Keep a bottle of Kneem oil or some other horticultural oil and a magnifying glass at the ready . You can also use a natural soapy water.

Mike

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 7:23PM
heygeno(z5 oh)

Boy..... glad I asked ! Thanks, you guys.
Geno

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:45PM
crispy_z7(7B-8A)

I agree, keep it inside the first winter.
I think one of the biggest influences on hardiness is the mass of the corm / root ball.

The thicker it is, the harder it is for freezes to penetrate and damage the corm inside.
This is how it works with the stems- Last Spring I looked at a 7 inch thick stem and the outside 1-2 inches was frost damaged, but after I dug into the stem past that, the next layers were green and alive.

A small plant simply does not have the mass to protect itself, nor the stored energy in the corm to sustain it when there is no photosynthesis of food via leaves.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Needle palm protection in zone 6
I will post a pic of the palm in a day or 2. I am hoping...
poaky1
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™