Just got a Pachira (Money Tree) need some advice

Stevi_KJanuary 23, 2006

I just got my first Pachira and want to know what type of soil I should use. It came with a little card with its light and water care but don't say anything about soil.

How fast do they grow? Does anyone have one that has ever bloomed?

I also see there are two speices Pachira Microcarpa and Pachira Aquatica, how does one know which one you have?

Stevi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanna_run_faster

Hi Stevi,
I have 2 Pachira Aquatica, I only know because they came labeled! I would have guessed that Aquatica would have been native to a wet environement but based on my experience that is not true. I have mine in indirect light, very close to windows that do no get afternoon sun. I rotate the pots about once a week and only water thoroughly maybe once or twice a month. They have never bloomed in the maybe 1 1/2 years I've had them. The label did say to mist, but I don't. I once placed it outside on the patio where some direct sun hit the leaves and they fried up and bleached white so bad, I did not think the plant was going to be able to recover. it took a long time but it did...I'm lucky it wasn't out there even an hour longer!

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 10:20PM
Stevi_K

HI thanks for your email.
I am glad your Pachira recoverd. Any special potting soil?
When you put your Pachira outside did you do it slowly? When I first put my plants back out in late spring I put them on the porch first and then slowly let them get more sun over a week or so. Otherwise they do burn.

Stevi

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 10:33PM
Bill(z10 swFL)

Stevi,

I had a pachira aquatica until hurricane Charley. Mine was grown in the ground with no special care. Our environment here is zone 10, very wet summers, and well draining soil. Not sure how much help that is for growing in your area. I did find the tree undemanding. I grew mine from seed, and it was about 20' tall when it was destroyed. It flowered for years, and produced many seed pods also. The tree had a nice rounded shape, attractive foliage, and bloomed periodically different times of the year. The flowers were unusual and attractive. I am growing a new one now, but it is too small to flower.

Bill

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 6:19PM
barryamyers(Z-10B/FL)

Mine (Pachira Aquatica)is about 15 ft tall and produces many flowers but has yet to set fruit. It is beginning to form that butressed trunk and is a striking tree. Seems to love water but also doesn't seem to mind periodic droughty conditions. Hurricane Wilma gave it a bit of a ragged appearance but it is recovering well, and the beautiful symetrical structure is intact. Everyone who can, should have a Provision Tree!

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 2:01PM
birdsnblooms

WEll-draining soil is very important..if there's one thing Pachira doesn't like it's wet feet.
Most die because they drown.
I think this plant prefers a semi=humid atmosphere so it should be misted and/or a humidifer in the same room. Toni

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 5:38PM
Bill(z10 swFL)

I am curious about the last post. I think it would be unusual that a tree with the species name "aquatica" would not like wet feet. You would think the opposite would be true.

I can't agree or disagree however, since although mine was planted in a low spot that held more water than any other spot in my yard, in my area of Florida everything is well draining since the soil is mostly sand.

Bill

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 6:33PM
barryamyers(Z-10B/FL)

A Quote from Floridata.com concerning P. aquatica: "Pachira aquatica prefers a site that is flooded much of the time and may develop stilt roots under such conditions. Like most swamp trees, it is likely to grow faster if planted where the water will recede and let the roots get some oxygen now and then."

Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 4:04PM
Stevi_K

So how do you tell which type of Pachira you have? There are 3 of them 1-Aquatica, 2-Grandiflora, and Macrocarpa

All mine said was Pachira here is a link to a picture of mine. You may have to copy and paster it.

Stevi

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pachira

Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 5:28PM
journey149(9aFL)

does money plants have edible fruit?

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 6:51AM
poiu(10b/11)

It'll have a large brown oblong seed pod filled with quite a few chestnut-colored seeds. YOu roast the seeds (nuts). They don't taste good.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 3:47PM
geniosity

Hi,

I've had my money tree for quite a while now and I've put up some info on what I've done (and learnt) to take care of it on my blog.

In case you want to check it out (I have a photo as well), you can go to:
http://homedeco.geniosity.co.za/2005/12/29/money-tree-pachira/

Of course, I'm no pro, just personal experience. I see there's a lot of pro's with experience here. Learning tons, so thanks for that...

James

Here is a link that might be useful: Money Tree - Pachira Aquatica

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 5:08PM
edhollis

i recently purchased a money tree from a local store- i place it on my enclosed screend deck with indirect sunlight- the leaves now have white and brown spots on them- what is going on and what can i do--move it inside? very little water has been added-=-write me direct at ehollis@aol.com if possible
thanks

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 12:47PM
birdsnblooms

Ed, are the white and brown spots inbedded in foliage or do they move?

Bill, I'd have to say, watering depends on where one lives. I've talked to people who grow Pachira in cold, dry climates much like where I live, (IL.) Those Pachira's watered heavily in winter died..
I'm sure it's different in places like Fl and Ca..
But when one grows a Pachira indoors in winter, overwatering can cause yellow leaves, and even death. Toni

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 5:08PM
katgpkaw_gmail_com

is it normal for my money tree to have 6 leaves???

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:46PM
stanofh

If you dont pot them up,they reduce like Bonsai. As a matter of fact, they make great Bonsai with their fat trunks.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 4:25PM
stuartdave

Actually I think they taste pretty good raw somewhat like a peanut. I have 3 the tallest about 15 ft and they have been fruiting for a few yrs now.3 hurricane eyes did not budge them and they were about 8 yrs old then.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 7:44PM
yumaintl_gmail_com

hi i collected some seeds in HongKong and i want to know how to grow it frm seeds pls let me know thanks.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:52AM
Haxler_aol_com

I received one as a present with braided truck. It grew quite well so I replanted from tbe decrotive pot it was in. Can it grow to be a full size tree with the braided truck?

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 7:24PM
AshBlossom

Hey. I just bought a pachira aquatica from a store and im not sure how to raise it. I am thinking along the lines of:
water once a week
mist once a week
3-5" pot
braided
indirect sunlight in summer/winter; direct in spring/fall
watered from bottom

apparently it is native to wetlands so i am going to try more water...i hope it grows for a long time.

is it bad to have a few shriveled leaves here and there?
Also: it came with a tie to keep it braided; i loosened it and i saw indents in the trunk! will that harm the tree?
Just in case i loosened it.

Thanks ahead, A.B.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Have Tropical Hib. "Splash" cuttings to trade
Anyone have any named tropical hibiscus cuttings? I...
irish_rose_grower
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Identify this plant, please
Anyone know this plants name? (not the fire bush on...
paynerobin
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Sponsored Products
CAP Strength VKR Tower - FM-7006
$138.80 | Hayneedle
AHB Starletta Swivel Bar Stool - Graphite with Tobacco Leather - 130901GRA
$219.95 | Hayneedle
VIG Furniture - 106 - Modern White Sofa Set - VGEV106-WHT
Great Furniture Deal
Silver Tree Branch Jewelry Holder
$44.99 | zulily
Steve Jobs Laser Engraved Framed Tribute
$499.00 | FRONTGATE