Tomato Spacing in Garden Box

gelatodaveFebruary 24, 2014

I am growing tomatoes in a very large rectangular box (Length 6ft, Width 4ft, Depth 4ft). If I wanted to maximize the number of plants/box would it be okay to plant each tomato plant at the edge of the box, basically right up against the side? My reasoning behind this is that I want to make sure the shoots of the plants do not interfere with each other. I am assuming the roots will spread out as much as they need to beneath the soil. What do you think?

On the picture, the tomato plant is the X with a circle around it.

This post was edited by gelatodave on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:27

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As with any container once the roots hit the sides they begin to spiral and coil and with time the plant becomes root bound.

So rather than plant them so snugly in the corners I'd move them more in toward the centers of each section. Plus it would be much easier to support the plants properly that way.

Leaf branches inter-tangling with each other poses no problems and can be controlled with just a bit of end-of-branch trimming. But binding up roots unnecessarily can lead to stressed and even dead plants.

JMO.

Dave

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 5:57PM
Destinyvp

I planted mine about 1 foot in from each edge last year. It was a good choice my one plant easily took 2 feet by 2 feet and I had to have some extra sturdy caging to keep it upright. It also yielded a massive amount of tomatoes. Put some basil near the base to keep it company. :)

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 6:02PM
gelatodave

Thank you for the quick reply, don't know what I would do without this forum. Dave, I centered the plants last year with good results, however it did become very "jungle-like." I will try some end-of-branch trimming like you suggested this year. Destiny, thanks for the advice regarding the basil.

This post was edited by gelatodave on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:29

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 6:13PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They don't have to be exactly centered, just not so tight in the corners. As Destiny said a foot to a foot and half in (although I guess that would pretty much center the front ones anyway. :-)

Dave

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:28PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Not going into details, I would/could plant 12 tomatoes in that raised bed/box or whatever, easily. That will be an average of 2.0 sqr-ft per plants. Considering that the planter is quite deep, this is my conservative approach. THAT IS 8 CUBIC FEET (over 50 gallons of root area/soil per plant)

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™