New kaffir lily

mmmillsSeptember 4, 2004

I just got this kaffir lily at a 'water plant sale'. Now, I'm doubting this is really a 'water plant'.

Any suggestions on getting it through the winter? I guess the rhizomes need to be protected from freezing, but is there more?

I'm in zone 7 and the well water here has a pH of 8.0. I collect rainwater for my 'pH sensitive' plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

The site below should answer your questions. I have six of these gorgeous plants, and as of this month, I will only water once a month, keep them in a dark, cool garage, and begin feeding and watering them when I see the first green leaf in May. They are treated just as amaryllis are - and are worth any effort to grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaffir lily

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 3:03PM
mmmills

kayjones,

Thanks for the post. You've helped me figure out the mystery of the 'kaffir lily'. The name is thought to be vulgar and/or confusing, and ought to be abandoned. It seems there are two plants going by this 'old' common name.

The current common names are 'River Lily' and 'Bush Lily'. I've out a 'River Lily' and you've described a 'Bush Lily'. Your plant sounds very interesting. I will be on the lookout for one and grab it when I see it.

River Lily
Hesperantha Coccinea: Family name: Iridaceae
Former name: Schizostylus coccinea (kaffir lily)
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/safrplt/msg1015330818034.html
http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hesperanthacoccinea.htm

Bush lily
Clivia miniata :
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Former name: (Kaffir Lily)
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/cliviaminiata.htm

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 6:31PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Aren't common names helpful? I second the motion to abandon the 'k' word; it is the apartheid equivalent of our own beloved 'n' word, and if possible even more denigrating.

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 4:55PM
silver77(Huntington Bch)

I have grown kaffir lilies in Southern CA for many years. I have noticed they grow very well in shade. Every kaffir lily that I have ever planted in any amount of direct sunlight has died. I thought that they could only grow in total shade?

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 12:14PM
harleylady(PNW/USDA 8b/Sunset 6)

I've grown Hesperantha Coccinea (which I knew as Schizostylis) in sand and full sun when I lived on the coast and it spread to the point of being invasive. I had huge clumps of it which I took to a few Gardenweb plant swaps to give away. I now have it in clay inland and it's growing well here, too, full sun with no additional care. I have alba, Mrs. Hegarty, Oregon Sunset, and others.

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 1:39AM
wanda(Z9 CA)

I think Schizostylus will grow ANYWHERE! I think (hope) I've finally gotten rid of mine. It was pretty invasive in my yard.

wanda

Bookmark   September 24, 2004 at 9:34PM
sandrapoole

The Webster Dictionary defines the word "kaffir" as a native indigenous to Africa. It should not have a negative impact on the name of a beautiful flower "Kaffir Lily".

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
DueanGross
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™