Bee attracting flowers in your tomato garden...

stonewallwillFebruary 26, 2008

What flowers do you guys use to attract pollenators to your tomato plants? I want to know your oppinions on both looks and functionality. And, the big question, how do you arrange them in your garden setup?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi stonewallwill - tomatoes are self-fertile, the blooms pollinate themselves, so bees aren't need for tomatoes. Other self-pollinating vegetables include beans, peas and peanuts, lettuce, eggplant, and peppers.

But flowers of any kind are still very helpful for attracting pollinators to squash, melons, and other garden vegetables. I use lots of marigolds and flowering herbs in my garden.

Dave

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 6:17PM
denninmi(8a)

Most of the old standards and favorites attract bees well -- marigolds, calendual, cosmos, celosia, sunflowers, four o'clock, blue salvia, etc. Also, Nicotiana and Verbena bonariensis are very popular with bees. Bees also love to gather pollen off of the tassles of sweet corn. Many herbs attract bees, such as basil, mint, anise hyssop, lavender, etc. Most of these things also attract other pollinators, like wasps, solitary bees, butterflies and moths.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 6:21PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

What flowers do you guys use to attract pollenators to your tomato plants? I want to know your oppinions on both looks and functionality. And, the big question, how do you arrange them in your garden setup?

As has been said, tomatoes self pollenize most of the time. But there are some of us who don't want to encourage bees around our tomato plants since we save seeds from the fruits. One can do something about that by bagging blossoms but some of us also try to ensure lack of X pollination by using just geographic isolation.

I have plenty of flowers around and take my chances, and the bees that normally do the tomato X pollinating are the Halictid, or sweat bees that are so tiny you can barely see them.

So unless you plan to save seeds I wouldn't worry about it. And if you click on the FAQ link at the top of the page there's a good FAQ on how to prevent X pollination if you do plan to save seeds.

Carolyn

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 6:29PM
timmy1(6a ri)

Plant a big Ole patch of these...

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 8:24PM
stonewallwill

Thanks everyone!

Carolyn, I'm actually planning on growing heirlooms this season but I'm not really worried about x pollinization either. It almost seems easier to just order some seeds than to try and save some from the year before.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 9:16PM
doof

Bees LooooOOooove sage. There are many beautiful perennial types of sage you can grow. Very low maintenance, unless you live in the north, and I suspect there are many that grow well there, too. (Anybody know?)

I have one in particular that I grow called White Sage, also called Bee Sage, that is a beautiful minty white-green color. Salvia apiana. I have it sculpted like a 6 or 7 foot tree in my front yard. Smells very nice, not as skunky as some sages.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 7:20AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Thanks for the info, doof. I will plant lots of sage.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 12:05AM
trudi_d

I'll paste in a link to OARDCs list of bee plants. Though the list is Ohio based, many of the plants and their variants will grow around the country and succesfully attract bees to your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: OARDC Major and Minor sources of nectar producing plants.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 1:17PM
atascosa_tx(8b)

As mentioned, tomatoes don't need bees to pollinate, but my squash do..so what I did was place several Jasmine plants through out the garden..they smell wonderful and the bees love em. It's not uncommon to see 15-20 bees around the Jasmines and see 4+ inside the blooms of the squash..wonderful creatures they are...and docile too..I can pick without the risk of being stung.

Happy Gardening

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 9:16PM
sautesmom

I notice a lot of pollinators when I let other veggies bolt, such as celery, lettuce or arugula. Not only bees but a lot of the other little ones, everywhere. Plus next spring I get lots of little volunteers!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 11:56PM
sla762(z5 WI)

I am really stuc on Cerinthe - I love it!!! beautiful beyone cpmpare - grows very easily from seed and teh bees flock to it!!!

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 2:35PM
duajones(z9 TX)

The bees love my esperanza

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:51AM
tomstrees(z6 NJ)

We use marigolds. The bees like them, and they look nice too!
I grow my own every season.

~ Tom

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 11:41AM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Think the Three B's for T's (tomatoes):

Basil
Borage
Bee Balm

All 3 are considered beneficial to tomatoes or gardens. They also keep the bees busy instead of cross pollinating your tomatoes.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™