bird of paradise pictures

flowerchild5(z8or)January 27, 2007

Hello all! I was curious if anyone had any pics of bird of paradise seedlings. I've seen pics of the seeds themselves. They do not look like what I planted. but, I have the cutest seedlings and am really hoping its the real deal. thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

There is something called "Mexican" bird of paradise and the plant has leaves that look like a mimosa trees. The seeds look like little lima beans. It is a Caesalpinia - google that and see if it is what you had.

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 7:04AM
birdinthepalm

I don't think there's much variation in the seeds amonst the "reginaes' so if they weren't very dark to almost black pea sized seeds and round , you most likely have the Caesapinia seeds, and not the one you may have intended. None the less, I've been looking for Caesapinia seeds to try , since those are very lovely flowers and quite spectacular. I'd guess the Caesalpinia seeds would be sort of bean shaped perhaps?

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 10:12AM
wanna_run_faster

I've grown white bird of paradise from seeds. The seeds were on the large size (maybe 1/2 the size of a dime)with an orange tuft. The seedlings looked exactly like tiny BOP's!

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 7:48PM
siegel2

This is what BOP seeds look like (Orange and white)

This is a caesalpinia pulcherrima "Bird of Paradise Bush" plant (Yellow/Red flower variety).

Pink variety

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 8:11PM
birdinthepalm

I need to get my "head" together with you cagary perhaps for a seed trade for the Caesalpinia seeds, though I'm not sure what tropical or subtropical seeds I'd have to trade. Most of mine don't produce seeds unfortunately, or rarely!

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 8:24AM
flowerchild5(z8or)

well, thanks you! I must have the mexican kind although I thought I had the other. the seedlings do look like little mimosa trees. I really really wanted the other kind. I only had six of these seeds and 4 have germinated so far. I guess I just let them do their thing and enjoy them. Thanks so much!
Tanya

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™