? about fall sowing

msbattNovember 21, 2011

I'm working on a community flower garden, and I'd like to sow a bunch of seeds this fall. The bed is about 20X20, and currently has a few scattered perennials already in it. We turned and amended the soil this past spring, so after pulling all the dead annuals, what I'd really like to do is just scratch up the surface with a rake and sow things like poppies, larkspur, liatris, gailliardia, rudbeckia, etc.

My question is---what common annuals should I NOT fall-sow in Southern middle TN? I seem to remember that my grandmother always kept her zinnia seeds until the spring, and maybe some others, too.

Any advice, suggestions, seed donations (*grin*), etc. hardily welcomed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I think now may be a little early. Winter sowing needs to be done when temperatures are consistently cold, and, who knows, things could warm up briefly again for us here before winter officially sets in. My recommendation would be to read the FAQs and maybe some of the threads in the Winter Sowing forum. There is a TON of info there. I think the FAQ section of that forum even lists which species to best with this method (if I remember correctly). Definitely worth checking out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 12:55PM
msbatt

Most of the 'winter sowing' on that forum is done in containers. I tried some of that for the first time last year, and will be doing some more this year. This post is really more about open-sowing, I guess you'd call it. I'm looking for info about annuals that basically self-sow well here, versus ones whose seeds won't survive our winters.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 10:23PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Personally, I would sow them (container or in-ground) the same way as far as timing goes (as described in the Winter Sowing Forum), but maybe someone will have other input.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
Is this fungus?
Please take a look at the pictures. There is something...
rhaynes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™