Elephant ears and Sweet potato vines

Dave_WhitneySeptember 29, 2006

I recently read a article in the Chicago Tribune where this person lets her tubers stay in the ground until a hard freeze and then digs them up to store for the winter. Does anyone have any advice cencerning this question? I've always dug them up prior to a a freeze.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

Dave, I live in zone 5B and our winters are much too cold to overwinter elephant ears and sweet potato vines outside. I always dig mine up, wait a few days for the leaves to die back and then I cut them off and place them in a soilless mix and in a cool but dry place in my basement. It has always worked for me. These are tender bulbs or so they appear to be, I don't think they would overwinter well outside due to the heavy cold temps we get............Wayne

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 6:18AM
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

My previous post was directed at overwintering bulbs, I wouldn't want to wait untill a hard freeze hits for fear of loosing my bulbs.............Wayne

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 6:22AM
Dave_Whitney

Thanks for your replies. I was planning to bring the bulbs in after a hard frost. I have always just dug the plants up and cut off the tubers, dry them and then store in peat most inside. I also fear that I might lose them if I waited for a frost

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™