Groundcover Suggestions?

realityfaerySeptember 25, 2013

I posted this in the groundcover forum and got no response, so figured I would try here :)

Hello! I was looking for some groundcover suggestions for my area and for two different areas of the yard. I live in the Central Valley of California, so we get hot summers and cool winters. One area we would like to put groundcover is in a heavily shaded spot in the front yard. It is a flower bed under a tree, but during the fall it loses all of its leaves. So if it can take the sun during the winter or go dormant during that time would be great. The other area is in full sun, so preferably something that can take the intense heat we get here (normally goes over 100F during the summer). I would love if it either reseeds or spreads itself and evergreen, though if I really like it, I will go with an annual. Lastly, we have a tropical theme throughout both the front and back yard. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
princesspea(sunset14)

I looking for the same thing, only I am in San Jose. I am thinking about going with low growing chamomile - I think it's the roman chamomile. For shade, baby's tears is everywhere in the shade down here, it's pretty tropical looking and lush In San Jose and easy to grow in shade- unsure about winter sun, ours is always shaded part time by a fence.
Eager to see what else is suggested.
Pea

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 1:03AM
river_city(7b)

Liriope is used everywhere here. There's even a black variety of it, which looks great with stone pavers.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:41AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Ice plants (delosperma) for sun, and dwarf sanseveria for shade.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:21PM
realityfaery

Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into these :)

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 5:06PM
petrushka

how about perennial peanut for the sun? you can even mow it!
the flowers are edible, taste like peanuts!

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 12:50PM
poaky1

I am zone 6 Pa but I think if you want a yellow groundcover for a moist site Creeping Jenny can be green or Yellow, depending on variety. Maybe the west coast is dry? If you have some steady moisture. Creeping Jenny is great. Ajuga Reptans is worth researching for drier areas. I have Barren Raspberry or something similar under an American Beech. It may not survive ultra drought conditions, but some irrigation after a long drought will make it look good.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 9:52PM
poaky1

I just thought I'd add that Hoya's are good for warm winter areas, I am not sure on moisture need.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:05PM
realityfaery

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions! I'll take a look at all of them :)

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Something is eating my philodendron leaves
I have an outdoor philodendron which is emerging from...
jimmybo
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™