winter coming, uprights...

nctim(z7bNC)September 12, 2005

As I need to move all my plants this year, I'm going to put my bananas in an unheated basement this winter. I had also planned to do this with my upright E. ears, which I believe are A. Macrorhizas. I have a 7' plant with 4 big pups. What should I store the corm in in the basement? Should I separate the pups then or after winter? What other precautions should I take for best survival?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

Why not try to overwinter them in the ground? If you did in the past, did you have problems?

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 2:13PM
nctim(z7bNC)

This is my first year growing them. I want them in a different part of the yard next year...if it would be better to leave them in the ground and move them in the spring, that's OK, too. I'm definitely taking the bananas in so I can preserve the trunks without building cages, etc.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 6:49PM
Las_Palmas_Norte(Zone8)

A cage (made from stucco wire or poultry netting) full of dry leaves or straw, wrapped in poly, will be more than sufficent to protect your psuedostems on the banana plants. It's much less work than digging these out every year. Even letting these freeze to ground level is fine. There's barely a noticable difference in overall size by mid summer with M. basjoo.

Cheers, Barrie.

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™