Transplanting Oleander question

nwmstropicsFebruary 8, 2009

I have two Oleanders about 6 ft tall that I need to move. They have been in the same spot for two years. Do these transplant easily? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Are the two plants in the same pot? In any case, yes, they transplant easily. If the plants are in the same pot, use a sterile knife and cut straight through the root ball. But I would wait another month to transplant.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 4:15PM
nwmstropics

Thanks nj. You're answering all my questions! These plants are in the ground by the patio. My wife wants them moved cause our daughter will be one year old this summer and she's afraid she will try to eat it since everything that's in her hand goes to her mouth. She just wants to avoid the chance of the baby taking a taste test. The pic below shows how big they are.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 8:27PM
aikanae(z9b AZ)

Is that an outhouse?

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 9:01PM
WhittakerJ

I was wondering how this transplant ended up working out for you.

I live in Arizona and I would like to move 13ft tall Oleanders to another location in my yard. These are very large and have been established for probably over 10 years.

Can someone advise me as to how much of the root ball I need to get around these to make sure they survive? Is it even possible given the size?

I plan on pruning them down to about 8ft tall. Should I do this before I try to relocate them? Or will this just send the plant into a complete shock and kill it?

Given the weather in Arizona right now is about 90 for a high and we don't typically have a terrible freeze season is now a good time to try and move them?

Any feedback would be great!

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™