Baby Papaya-strawberry papaya seeds

marcie_new(z8)February 20, 2010

Hello out there fellow gardeners, Today I went to H.E.B and FOUND a strawberry papaya a baby papaya actually some one called this fruit passionfruit to me it looks like a pear shaped papaya its red flesh fruit I am saving the seeds to try and sprout and see if they take off for me any advise? suggestion? I also found Maradol papaya got one too, those seeds I know I can just put in a paper towel place the towel in a ziploc bag and they will germinate.The paper towel get moistened first of course. I found a chirimoya kind of small but at 8.00 dollars is just kind of too pricey for my pocket.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sk290

Strawberry papaya and passion fruit are completely different fruits. Both are tropical plants and will not take to cold too well. I'm in SoCal and grew the strawberry papayas from seeds I saved from fruit purchased at Ralph's. Most of them succumbed to the cold winter we had this year and too much rain. I'm not sure if they would produce for you in a container. I have lots of seeds to share if yours don't germinate.

Pineapples are fun too. These were also from fruit purchased at Ralph's.

Sandra

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 3:13PM
karyn1(7a)

sk290 is correct, papaya and passiflora are two completely different plants. Most papayas are either male or female, some are hermaphrodites. Only female and hermaphroditic plants will produce fruit so make sure you grow enough trees to better your chances of getting trees that will fruit. They grow fast and many varieties will mature within a year. The majority of passion vines need cross pollination. Both do well in containers in a greenhouse over the winter.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 6:24PM
marcie_new(z8)

HI SKY290 Thank you for your kind offer I might just take you up on that I will wait and see if they germinate for me, I started them like before damp paper towel baggie method so now I am just waiting to see if they sprout, I also got some maradol papaya seeds the same way. my plan is to germinate as many as possible and then grow some in the ground and some in containers for next winter I can bring them indoors and see what they do. I have read somewhere that once you have papaya growing you can make some kind of cut in the trunk and then they will produce fruit, so I must go looking for this article and see what else I need to refresh my memory about. Marcie

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 12:00PM
marcie_new(z8)

Great News!!!!!!!Today I took a peek (again) at my seeds, and yes they are starting to sprout,HORAY HORRAY!! just planted 3 seedlings hoping they take off for me. My guava seeds are also starting to sprout.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 1:31AM
karyn1(7a)

I remember reading an article about topping a male papaya plant to make it produce female flowers. I don't remember the specifics but I'm sure you can find the info online. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:37AM
kbob10_hotmail_com

hi...i would love to buy strawberry-papaya seeds or a plant...where can I get it? i have been searching with no luck. Help!

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 5:22PM
Jsmith1776(9b)

Ada vela,

You can buy your Strawberry papaya seeds at TradeWindsFruitStore.Com
I just bought some Waimanalo Dwarf Papaya and Strawberry Papaya seeds.

Karynl,

You may of read it from this website.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/papaya_ars.html

Here is a link that might be useful: History and how to grow Papaya article

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Bird of Paradise 'Mandella's Gold' Flower
After years of waiting, my Mandella's Gold BOP has...
siegel2
Worsleya Procera seeds
I have been looking for Worsleya Procera seeds for...
jadesga1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™