Tecomaria capensis

einar-gaOctober 21, 2006

Has anyone had any luck over-wintering this plant in the ground in zones 8a or lower? Thanks in advance. Einar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdinthepalm

This would be my first post on this "Topic' , but since I am always trying to adapt many tropicals to my garden , at least as temporary summer bloomers, I do like the idea of having some tropicals for color and interest in my gardens in addition to the many hardy perennials and summer annuals. Unfortunately, I'd say since one site lists it as hardy to only zone 9, I'd guess it's very frost sensitive, and most likely might die back to ground level with any long hard freezes, though some plants can flower sufficiently well on all new growth every year after a severe dieback to make them worth growing, I'd guess, but perhaps just temporary covers, or some heavy mulching could keep them going in zone 8, but I doubt much colder zones. I do love them though!!

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abekhoury(z8A Ga)

I have had one in the ground for five years now. It dies back but returns strong each spring. I do mulch it in the winter and it does take till the end of sumer to reach blooming size.

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
dueangross
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™