Moringa ovalifolia seeds/plants

bronxfigsFebruary 28, 2012

I will be getting a small order of Moringa Ovalifolia seeds, and would like to know if there's any special trick to germinating these seeds?

Soak 24 hours in warm water, sow, bottom heat, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've read that these plants are very fast growing.

Frank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kaulad(H1 (9))

I've not tried germinating these. My tree drops pods several time during the year and these break apart on the ground but I have never seen a seedling. Propagation here is by large cuttings (branches, really) just stuck in the ground. The tree is very fast growing with pulpy wood of little strength. Most growers here keep the tree cut to bush size with regular mowings. The leaves and flowers are used in salads and some soups. I would be happy to send seed when they next ripen.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 5:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kandhi(z7VA)

Frank,

I just started working on to gereminate some moringa seeds 2 weeks ago by 2 methods. First I soaked the seed for 24hrs in luke warm water then planted some seeds 1inch deep in peat/perite medium and placed the pot on heating vent. Out of 6 seeds, 3 germinated and I can see small white stem above soil. Few seeds after soaking in water I placed them in a ziploc bag and placed it above refrigerator. They all sprouted with root/stem that I will be planting tomorrow in a pot. Both methods worked for me, after they get some leaflets I will post the pic here. Please note that they are not getting any direct sunlight until leaves grown on the seedlings. I heard that the plants grow very fast to 3-4ft in 1year.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Very unusual interesting plant starting to flower
I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd put it here...
tropicbreezent
Can you help me ID this vine/climber?
Hello, I got this plant last year from a very lovely...
dubai-gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™