Is this tomato plant diseased?

ameera(z11 Dubai)February 1, 2013

I am growing what I think are Brandywines but I am not sure...long story short, I gave my housemaids a packet of tomato seeds to start growing since I was going to be overseas for almost 2 months. I thought it was Orange Minsk, but posted photos here to ask a question and was advised it was the wrong leaf type to be OM. I still can't remember for sure but don't see my Brandywine Sudduth seed packet so I am assuming that must be what is growing.

I have 3 plants up on the roof, and they all were doing well, but in the last week to ten days one of them seems to be succumbing to something... I just want to know if anyone recognizes it and if it is something bad that is contagious to the other plants.

Here are some photos:

The first 3 are from the unhealthy looking plant:

And here are photos from the 2 other healthy plants:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Ameera: The photos of your healthy plants in the other message you posted today are very impressive. I know you worked very hard to find the right potting mix and fertilizer. You should be proud. But I am concerned that this tomato might be diseased. I don't know if tomato diseases in Dubai are the same ones we get here. But if they are similar, I would guess that it's got some kind of fungus. Have you used any fungicide to treat it or the other plants? Fungicides work best to prevent disease. They can't really cure most diseases. Daconil is a fungicide many recommend. I also recommend that you cut off all the diseased leaves and treat all your plants. If it is possible to move the sick plant away from the others, that might help protect them. Whatever your plant has, it is probably contagious, so try not to touch the healthy plants after touching the sick one.

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 18:38

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:33PM
ameera(z11 Dubai)

Ohiofem. Thank you-- I didn't get email notification of replies so I only saw your reply now... I have moved it away from the others and I don't think that plant is going to be saved... It hasn't grown any taller since...

Another thing... Will the tomatoes that are on there be safe to eat if they are able to ripen?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:09AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Ameera: I don't know of any tomato disease that would make your tomatoes unsafe to eat. If you get ripe tomatoes that look OK when you cut them open, go ahead and eat them. Sadly, I've eaten many tomatoes from diseased plants.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Sponsored Products
157" Red Cedar Canterbury Arbor w/Gate & 2 Wings
Fifthroom.com
Worth Kids Tool Set Multicolor - W0015
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Teak Square Planter - Small
Signature Hardware
Cambridge Tall Planter
Grandin Road
Leaf Botanicals Coffee Mug - Set of Four
$29.99 | zulily