Gardening book for TN

trekker(Z10 CA)December 2, 2006

My son and his girlfriend, who live Nashville, have been doing some gardening in yard of the house they are rentilng. I'd like to get them a good gardening book for the region. Here in the West we have the Sunset Western Garden Book, so that's what I have in mind except for the South.

I found a book with a similar title for the south, but is that what I want for them? I'm looking for a book with information about plants and various issues specific to the region. They are novices.

And if anybody can recommend a particularly helpful nursery in the area, that would also be nice. They live 1n town, zip code 37209.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decolady01(7a/6b AL/TN)

I haven't read your book, but given the similarity between the magazines, I'd suggest the Southern Living Garden Book. I also love Passalong Plants for old fashioned plants of the south.

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 9:49AM
trekker(Z10 CA)

Thanks. What I have in mind is a book with a fairly complete listing of plants by common and botanical names with detail on what grows where. Also information on how to do basic things.

Maybe I should put the question another way: is this the book you expect to see in a nursery as a basic reference? Here in the west it is not unusual for a nursery to have well-used copy of the Sunset book out for people to use.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 2:50PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

There's no similar guide book here. Just a massive Ortho what to do about what pest book.
The first book I've found that helps with timing of garden chores is linked below. It was written in Knoxville (east of Nashville and about two weeks later, growing season-wise if your son is in the Nashville Metro area; if he's out in the burbs, it should be spot on.
It's pricey, but I enjoy and use mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Gardening Guide

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 3:41PM
trekker(Z10 CA)

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the Southern Living Garden Book and according to reviews it is exactly what I want. At least one reviewer compared it to the Sunset garden book. I am sure it will be helpful.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Is this fungus?
Please take a look at the pictures. There is something...
rhaynes
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™