What can I do to keep this alive over the winter?

amylvilleOctober 14, 2010

Hi, I was sent over here from the decorating forum (where this was a decorating dilema) My husband rescued this from an uncles garbage last Feb. It was 2 ft tall and I managed to keep it alive indoors until the spring (I am in zone5). It put it outside for the summer and it did quite well, however this is what I have now:

In the second picture you can see there is the mother plant 2 secondary plants and a few pups. I would like to save it and put it outside in the spring. Here is how it looked outside. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_brown(Zone 6A NS)

No problem. I do this every year. Cut almost all the leaves off. Leave the top leaf......that would be the one that is still curled up and just emerging from the stem. Give the entire plant, including the stalk and the surface of the soil in the pot a good spray with insecticide/fungicide. this will prevent insect infestation indoors, and keep your house from being invaded with fungus gnats. you can use one of the "friendly" products to do this, but you should be prepared to re-apply this about a week after bringing it in to kill any emerging pests. Take it indoors, place in the sunniest window you have, or under some strong CF light sources, keep moist but not soggy all winter and it will do quite well and can be put out next season again. If you feel up to the challenge, you can carefully separate the "pup" plants from the mother, or you can leave them, or cut them off if you don't want them.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

Aren't these usually stored in cool, dark places for the winter?

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
dueangross
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Sponsored Products
Golden Bronze Plug-in Corner Lamp
Overstock.com
Modern Beige Linen Shade and Chrome Metal Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Haeger Potteries Sage Ceramic Egg Table Lamp
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
Broadway Suspension by James R. Moder
$1,198.00 | Lumens
Nickel Floor Lamps: Arcitect 85 in. Satin Nickel Arc Lamp 3157-22
Home Depot
Parisian Cafe Art Print
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Designers Fountain Trenton 84904 4-Light Bath Bar - Satin Nickel - 84904-SN
$179.50 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Brushed Nickel Track Accessory, 12-volt Pendant Transformer P8
$81.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™