Needle palms leaves/fronds confusing

poaky1October 14, 2013

I have 2 palms in ground and 1 in a pot. I thought they were 2 different kinds. One of them is only an inch tall and I haven't mentioned it before because it is so short, barely above the mulch surface. Well, my point ids that the one in the pot looks like it has different skinnier fronds than the in-ground Trachy Fort. After a websearch, it shows the Needle Palm has 2 different type of Fro nds on the same plant. I am confused by this. Am I right or does someone have better knowledge of this confusion? I got some seeds from Ebay and have 2 Trachy sprouts from the seeds. I am curious how to overwinter these sprouts. I have a cold greenhouse that will provide some shelter. Any help is appreciated. The potted one will be put in the cold greenhouse wrapped in burlap. I am hoping winter 2014-2015 *I can plant it outdoors protected.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

I will try to take some pictures if nobody can make sense of my post. I haven't focused much on palms before, making my trees woody trees that is the focus of my gardening attention. I will try to get some palm images taken soon.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:09PM
alex_7b(7b/8a)

I can't understand your point but, you cannot grow palm seedlings in the ground where you are. They will need to be much larger.

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:18PM
poaky1

I read your other post answering my question.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 12:49AM
poaky1

Nothing great to post, but my seedlings from seed were doing great, until my mom's cats saw them. They were up high, but not high enough I guess.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 9:41PM
poaky1

I did a websearch and it is the Rhapido- ? hysterix, something or another, that is -20F hardy. Surely it is not hardy until it is several years old, though. As far as the Needle palm having 2 types of foliage, it is either the needle palm or the Sabal minor. I think I may have a couple survivors of the Rhapido-hysterix. I need time to see if it does okay.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 3:59AM
poaky1

Okay, I have my palms in order, so to speak. The one I have near the house is, the trunkless Dwarf Palmetto, or Needle palm. I will be getting a Windmill palm, which HAS a trunk, when I build a bed for it, near the house, where I can plug lights in, and cover it. The Needle palm is already planted near a plug. We are having a new dog fence put in. Once it is already installed I can make my bed for the Trachy or Windmill palm, outside the fence, close to the house, but away enough so it can grow away from the utility wires on the house, but be plugged in.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
need home for a large brugmansia
I have a large ( over 6 x 6') plant that I need to...
michaelzz
Sponsored Products
Braided Accent Rug: Jackson Taupe 2' x 4'
Home Depot
Beachy Leaves Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Ceramic Soy Candles
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Seaside Outdoor 34 in. White Table Lamp
Home Depot
Empress Armchair Upholstered Set of 2 in Oat
$709.00 | LexMod
Turquoise and White Chevron Christmas Stocking with Optional Personalization - T
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Palm Beach Silver Sisal Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Blue Twill Tufted Chair Pad
$12.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™