Soursop - seedling or grafted?

cattman(z10a FL)February 15, 2006

For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted to get some opinions on whether plants grown from seed produce good fruits or if it would be best to hunt down a grafted tree for better fruit.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patusho25(z11 Mexico)

I have never tasted a soursop from a grafted tree and they all are very sweet.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 5:34PM
greentitan(9)

Soursop tree will die below 40 degrees.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 3:44PM
cattman(z10a FL)

Thanks for the replies -- Patusho, that's very reassuring and will help me in my search. Greentitan, thanks for the caution but I've got the temps situation covered and am already raising atemoya here in Atlanta.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 8:24AM
jollop(10b Miami, FL)

It will never take hold in Atlanta, barely able here in Miami! This year we had a mild winter so lots of Soursops! Best of luck, plus it's a huge tree! I've grafted them but, they flower and set fruit in about two years from seeds so it's not worth it. There are sweet varities (eating) and a sour type (used to make a milk and ice drink which is really good). Best of luck!

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 9:54PM
tiffaneyga

Cattman,
I live here in Atlanta and I have a grafted soursop and a sweetsop that I ordered from Mikey's Plant World on Ebay. He's very reliable and his plants come in excellent condition.

And yes, these plants can live in Atlanta (indoor in the winter) and outdoor in the summer. My soursop has produced fruit but they usually drop off (I don't know why).

Good luck!
TiffaneyGA

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 3:46PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

hey my soursops planted in the ground made it through winter here in So. California. woohoo!

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 12:12AM
cattman(z10a FL)

Many thanks to all of you for replying to my post! TiffaneyGA, your growing technique (indoor in winter/outdoor in summer) is what I do for my little atemoyas. I would guess the fruit drop is one of three things: a mineral deficiency, a lack of heat or humidity at some stage in the growing, or the plant running too dry at some point. If I manage to work this out, I will post the solution here on the Tropicals forum!

Again, thanks to all of you!

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 9:31AM
siafu

Cattman,

Your soursop may be dropping the fruit because it may be too much of a strain for its size.

Either let the plant grow a little more before allowing it to fruit, or remove all the fruits except one.

But it could be one of the other things you pointed out...

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 6:51PM
siegel2

I finally found a source for GRAFTED soursop trees. They have two cultivars available, Mario and Whitman Fiberless.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Bookmark   April 1, 2006 at 10:56PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

You got mail Cagary. My soursops has since almost completely defoliated during this cold month. The good thing is that the limbs are still very firm, and very little dieback, mostly on a few centimeters of the tip. It had shown signs of a growth flush on all the buds but has completely stopped. Good thing is that the buds are still alive.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 12:43AM
racor_2006

Calgary,

I'm currently growing a Soursop in Southern California and I'm looking for a source to purchase another one. I have sent you an email to see if you can give send me the name of your source.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 5:15PM
northtexasgirl(z8 FTW)

Cagary, I also sent you an email regarding the source you found but haven't heard from you.

Leona

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 2:29PM
rdblanco

my soursop or guanabana as we call it here doesnt produce fruit; the bud opens then dies and falls. the tree is only 2-3 years old, we think its needed to be pollinized but we arent sure. any suggestions?

Robert
Miami, fl

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 7:22PM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Soursops are usually very tropical , I tried for 10 years in warm sub-tropical Queensland and never got fruit .
So its not worth trying, even in Florida .
You will grow the tree , but never get fruit .
The 'Fibreless' cultivars do not seem to set any fruit , but seedling plants bear easily in 2-3 years . I have several trees planted out , as this is one of my favourite fruits.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 9:39AM
jhl1654

I had an inground soursop tree in zone 10 fl that did produce nice size fruits until hurricane Andrew killed it

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 10:30AM
jhl1654

I had an inground soursop tree in zone 10 fl that did produce nice size fruits until hurricane Andrew killed it

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 11:15AM
cocomo(z10 / PR)

I have soursop(Annona muricata) seeds for trade if anyone is interested. Also have some from another realive known locally as "corazón" = heart fruit, (Annona reticulata). Please e-mail directly to set up a trade.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 12:00PM
Barb2013

I live in California and would like to grow my own Soursop tree. I can't find a single place where they would sell it and I know it's a very good fruit. Can anyone give me directions on how and where to start with growing my own tree? Please. I live in Palmdale. Hot in the summer very cold in the winter. A lot of wind. If you can even tell me of a place where they sell this fruit, I would appreciate that information as well. Thank you all ahead of time. Bless you all.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:03PM
OCchris

Hey Barb,
I bought one at Mimosa Nursery in East L.A last spring and the last time I was there was July and they had tons of them (3 feet tall or so). I also saw one at Flowerdale Nursery in Orange and one at Upland Nursery also in Orange (2 weeks ago). Good luck.
Best regards, Chris

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 2:47AM
lucha2014

My soursop trees are grown from seeds. I brought the seeds from Colombia and currently have 2 trees. Great fruits, my family loves it. I have a friend that makes tea out of the leaves for anti cancer. I just love the fruit.

Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 6:43PM
Tropical Gardener(9,10,11)

Some Old School moms make frozen ices out of it in rural Puerto Rico

Bookmark   March 9, 2015 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Looking to swap rare tropical seeds and such
Looking to trade rare tropical seeds and such. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Have Tropical Hib. "Splash" cuttings to trade
Anyone have any named tropical hibiscus cuttings? I...
irish_rose_grower
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt Garden Tools 4 ft. 1-Light Output White Fluorescent Grow Light V41
$44.00 | Home Depot
Seedling by thomaspaul Damask 13 1/2" W Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Windsor I Platform Bed - ATF243
$357.89 | Hayneedle
Riverstone Industries Genesis 3 x 3 ft. Cold Frame Greenhouse - CF-33-G
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Masiero Lighting | Drylight Outdoor Wall Sconce
$680.00 | YLighting