Windmill Palm in Kansas City

johnpdd(z5? NW Indiana)November 4, 2003

I saw a program once on HGTV called 'Dream Drives' that featured Kansas City's Ward Parkway. On that show there was a home with two Windmill Palms in the front yard. They didn't say much about them other than they were able to grow them in the lower Midwest. Did any of you see it? They must provide some protection I assume. I don't remember them being close to a building. I would like to find out more about those. Maybe someone who lives in the KC area can drive by and find out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Do a web search for Trachycarpus fortunei. You'll get lots of info.

Bookmark   November 8, 2003 at 7:32AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

First of all, they are in large pots, sunken into the ground and mulched heavily. Secondly, they have them in a micro-climate setting, protected by surrounding plants and away from our strong winds. They move them inside for the winter.

Bookmark   November 13, 2003 at 9:46AM
cajunbarry

hi Johnpdd,
Are you familiar with the Bulgarian Windmill Palm, Trachycarpus fortunei 'bulgaria'? It sounds promising for a VERY cold hardy palm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulgaria Windmills - Polar Palms

Bookmark   December 15, 2003 at 3:52PM
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)

hey guys,

I a few of the hardy Bulgarian windmill palm seedlings LAST FALL (2002) . First let me say , I got the seedlings from a friend in July 2002 and let them sit in the baggie with the moss on them till after Thanksgiving last year, when I shoved them into muy slightly amended clay soil in a sunny spot. Thy were about 5" high. NO mulch , no protection.

To my surprise they survived last winter like a champ! It was a horrible, long, wet and cold winter here in zone 6b.

They about doubled in size this year.

I also have a 3' high , 6 yr old Sabal Minor "McCurtain" from a hardy stand in OK. It too has had no protection and has seen temps below zero with NO damage, except for a few burned leaf edges!!

YOu should defintely try these both.

I have photos if anyone is interested.

Good luck!

Boca Joe

Bookmark   December 15, 2003 at 10:58PM
rindalin

Boco Joe,

I live in McCurtain County, Oklahoma and would like to learn more about those Sabal Minor "McCurtain" palms. Did you order it online or get it from someone who lives here?

Thanks,
Rindalin

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 4:45AM
More Discussions
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™