Plumeria Information

love.peace.herbsFebruary 6, 2009

I have posted this message also in the Plumeria section.

I am looking to start a Plumeria in Kansas and would eventually take it with me to Seattle Washington this year. I would love to know more about the plant and how to grow it in doors. I understand it is a tropical plant and usually grown down in a hotter climate. Also does anybody know where I should look for a cutting or a plant itself? Information about fertilization, growth, lighting and any other information is wanted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Since nobody else jumped in ,my two cents. I grow both evergreen and deciduous plumeria but out in the yard, They are very lowland tropical, sensitive down to frost hard freeze fatal. . Easy to grow if you can keep the temps up though indoors light might be a problem..They also get very large and drop leaves during winter except for the EG"S.
Very easy to start from cuttings though care is needed to prevent rot during rooting.
I think if I were going for a Houseplant I'd choose a smaller earlier blooming type. Probably your only source for plants would be mail order?? gary

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 5:56AM
jeelli(5/6 CT)

They like drier soil(I use a cactus mix with added vermiculite) and sunny. Mine are starting to come out of dormancy. I just recieved a fully rooted and leafed out Dwarf Singapore from Logee's yesterday- it feels like cheating, but it's instant gratification. That may be a good option for you- it wasn't too expensive. Good Luck in your endeavors!
(I usually check out the Plummie forum, but I happened to see you question here)

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 3:59PM
stanofh

They grow very fast indoors-I had mine grow leaves 16" long, a dark green. But when it got really warm indoors the spider mites were ferocious. They need good air movement indoors-warm stuffy rooms dont cut it. Sunlight,and a good quiet indoor fan would be perfect.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 5:36PM
barbiekemp(U 10b / S 23)

OK..... thanks... I didn't even know there were two types: evergreen and deciduous. Wow, now I feel stupid. I used to wonder why some people in my vicinity had leaves all year, while I did not. Time for more web-searching.

Wonderful tips, Gary!

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Jasminum sambac Mali chat
Does anyone has ever seen Jasminum Sambac Mali chat...
bunti
Need help identifying this plant
Hi! I have this long flowering plant with orange yellow...
audreydychua
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
Identify this plant, please
Anyone know this plants name? (not the fire bush on...
paynerobin
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Blithe Hand-Tufted Plumeria Area Rug - RUG119210
$80.64 | Hayneedle
Antica Farmacista Ala Moana Room Spray
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Antica Farmacista Ala Mona Diffuser & Candle Set
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Antica Farmacista Ala Moana Candle
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
kathy ireland Office by Bush Furniture TV Stand with Shelves
Overstock.com