Watering of my bougainvillea

paolalancioneNovember 23, 2007

I have brought my plant inside for the winter. It is near a window for light. All the leaves have fallen off. I was wondering how often I should water it. It is looking not very good! Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Your plant is fine! Don't worry about the lost leaves. They will quickly grow back and as long as they receive a few hours of direct sunlight, can be brought back into bloom. Bourgainvilleas do like to dry out between waterings; encourages flowering. I have one in a western exposure that gets between 3-4 hours of direct sun at this time of year. I water about twice a week--still, it always seems to be dry. It is blooming heavily now but did nothing in the summer when it was outside (probably was too wet). (Don't fertilize at this time of year.) Good luck!

Bookmark   November 25, 2007 at 10:27PM
roserx(8)

I live in Ft Laud and my bougainvilleas have been in the ground x 1yr and are 4' tall and only 1/2 of them bloomed and that was 6 mos ago. What might be the problem?

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 3:14PM
subtropix

My personal experience convinces me that bougainvilleas thrieve on a certain amount of benign neglect. I really let mine go very dry between waterings and rarely fertilize. They seem to actually like poorer soils. I did notice that mine did nothing outside all spring and summer (though in direct sun) and only started to bloom in late fall/winter as an indoor plant prone to chronic underwatering. Good luck!

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 2:56PM
lapalm(11 L.A. CA)

NJOasis is correct.
They thrive on neglect. They don't like much water or food and the more heat the better, and I mean HEAT. They bloom best on roofs. Ft. Lauderdale and Florida in general (where I lived for 7 years) have a lot of rain and not as much sun in the summer with those thunderstorms. The result is noticably less bloom.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™