What Have You Planted That You Really Wish You Hadn't?

rainydaywoman_z8(8)November 26, 2011

A few years ago I got really carried with my tropicalesque garden, figuring that for any leaf, bigger was better, and if the label said "invasive" that meant it would cover my bare spots. So now I have petasites everywhere; I can't stop them; they are taking over. Beware before ever planting a petasite! So what have you planted that you now regret?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tony_o(z.6 (Okla.))

Been looking for some, but can't find any petasites. Where can I get some starts? I have just the spot for them.

I like almost any plant, so it's a hard question to answer. I guess the worst plant I planted would be hardy perennial Hi Biscuss. Not bad at first, beautiful when they flowered. I was gone on the road for a few years and they self seeded everywhere. Needed a pick-ax to remove the unwanted ones from the garden and grass. (To big to mow down too.) Then they started coming up from the severed roots. I did keep a few, but watch them closely and keep them under control now.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 11:42PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I would say variegated vincas would definitely be the most invasive plant I have ever planted, but I dont regret planting it because its a nice evergreen that is in a limited amount of space, so it wont take over my entire yard like it has the potential to!
They bloom in January sometimes and always bloom in the Spring! The Foliage looks its best in spring, summer, and fall, but it looks good in winters that dont get a lot of snow.
-Alex

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 4:04PM
crispy_z7(7B-8A)

I can't think of anything I ever planted that I didn't want, however, there are some planting LOCATIONS that I wished I had thought about more.
For instance, I have numerous edible plants, trees, vine fruits, etc. near my house, but I planted a Carolina Jessamine vine near the house, only later to find out it is quite poisonous. I finally dug it up and moved it further out.

I've gotten to the point that I always try to picture any perennial as how it may look 5-10 years down the road. (too close to house? Invasive? health risk? ect)

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
threedogsmom
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi Thin Weave 34 in. Ou
Home Depot
Couristan Natures Elements Rug - 71090021020030T
$21.00 | Hayneedle
Liata Chrome and Crystal Ball Flush Mount Chandelier
Overstock.com
Sale Medallion Heriz Serapi Red/Navy 9x12 Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7139
BH Sun Inc
Sunnydaze Two-Tier Solar-on-Demand Fountain, Rust Finish, 35 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
Tommy Bahama Orange Cay 4-piece 84in Drape Set
Overstock.com
Keep It Under Your Hat Limited Edition Serigraph