Coleus,Acalyphas and Plectranthus hardiness in Louisia/Baton R.

carlos35December 24, 2010

I'm very unfamiliar with gardening in Baton Rouge. Will coleus, acalyphas and plectranthus plants overwinter in the Baton Rouge area? will they come back from the ground the following year? can they go dormant? can you list the tropicals that have overwinter for you in Baton Rouge? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I don't garden in Louisiana, but I can tell you that only the Acalypha tends to be root hardy here in coastal California if you dip below freezing. All of these are very easy to root as cuttings taken in late fall to ensure you don't lose the plant. Of the various Plectranthus species, some are definitely hardier than others. P. zuluensis and P. ecklonii and P. 'Mona Lavender' along with P. argentea tend to be the most resistant to light freezes, and will usually come back from the roots. All do better if you give them a microclimate/location that gives them some overhead cover in winter if you get regular frost. Tropicals that have corms/tubers or rhizomes tend to be the best as dieback in winter, regrow in spring plants. Look for hardier forms of Alpinia, Hedychium, Canna, Colocasia, Alocasia, Crinum, Agapanthus, etc as good candidates. Some of the more tropical looking vines such as Thunbergia grandiflora, Mandevillea cultivars, and some Passiflora species work well in hot summer climates that occasionally freeze in winter.

Bookmark   December 27, 2010 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™