Gerbera Daisy from Seed

nitrocad(z6Tn)December 11, 2007

Have any of you tried growing gerbera daisies from seed? Did you start them indoors, or sow them directly in the soil? Who has the best price on the seed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maternut(7 west tn)

Found this post in the Growing From Seed Forum writen by george5il. No pretreatment required, lightly cover the seed. Soil temp 68-72 F and takes 10 to 14 days to germinate. Transplant after 6 weeks. Produces a plant in a 4" pot in 24 weeks (blooming). Parks has seed adv. Hope this helps.
Norm

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 10:28PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

When Gerberas were first introduced, I was in Houston and they were (for my budget) way too expensive. So I got seeds and they sprouted easily at room temperature in my house. I used a grow light (it was February and the sun seldom came out) and got two inch plants easily.
But then I put them in my hard, hard, hard black clay, emended not enough, and lost them. The production ones I'd boutht the previous year didn't last that well either.
But there was no internet then and I really didn't realize how different Houston was from South Africa.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 10:36AM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

Gerberas are beautiful things, aren't they? I bought several over this past season from markdown tables. Gonna see if they make it through the winter outside -- I have seen reports that they can -- and keep a couple in pots indoors to see if they'll survive in the house. I wish both of us luck!

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 12:03PM
nitrocad(z6Tn)

Have any of you ordered gerbera daisy seed from sunrise seed? You can get 60-80 seeds for $3.95. Best price I have seen.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 3:40PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

They do have a 100% rating on Garden Watchdog (with only 7 votes). That's a good sign!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Seed Review

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 7:20PM
gizzardfarm(7A)

Hey all... never started them from seed but listen to this i still have 5 that the frost hasnt gotten to around my rosemary bush next to my asparigus fern(both of which are still green) that are still green and a couple of weeks ago during the week of 70 degree days one ever shot a bloom up and just as it started to open bam frost got the bloom only. the plants still look good though...this is just one weird winter...

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
The early daffodils - ID?
Yesterday when driving around Blount County, I noticed...
RedBird_TN
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™