Small space tomatoes

Poodles123February 22, 2012

Hello everyone,

Due to a relocation, I am suddenly forced to garden in a very small space. I've always grown big indeterminate heirloom tomatoes like Black Krim and Kellogg's Breakfast (my two favorites), I'm looking for suggestions of high-yielding and tasty tomatoes for small spaces. The beds are raised but only have room for few tomatoes in order to have room for everything else I like to grow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janezee(Sunset 5, 8b, Whidbey WA)

I am confused.

If you already have your favorites, I don't understand why you won't just grow those? And did you let them just spread, or trellis them? Prune?

I'd need more information, is what I guess I'm trying to say here, to be able to say anything useful.
j

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:47PM
suncitylinda

I know there are some indeterminate toms that do not grow as tall and strongly as some. I think Siux may be one of those and I am sure there are more, just cant remember at the moment. LInda

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 1:51PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Plenty of good determinates to grow also.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 2:01PM
corin99(7b Triangle NC)

I grew Early Wonder last year and was very happy with them. Plants stayed under 3' tall and, though said to be determinate, continued to produce into the fall. If you are interested in compact indeterminates, you might like Indian Stripe or Stupice, both are very good.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 3:16PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Husky Cherry Red, sturdy indeterminate plants , 5' at most, great production and not shabby on taste either.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:37PM
suncitylinda

Heartland is supposed to be a small tomato plant and I am growing it this year for the first time.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:50PM
seeker11(z6)

Check into the new releases (within the past 2 years) from the Dwarf Tomato Project (see link below). So far, there are a total of 13 new releases from this project, and all are dwarf indeterminates. I'll be growing them for the first time this year, so I can't give first-hand experience with ptoduction, etc. However, from what I've read, taste is outstanding. Descriptions, availability, etc. can be found at Tatiana's tomato database. If you go to: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w/index.php?search=Dwarf+Tomato+Project&ns0=1&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search&fulltext=Search
the last 13 entries on page 1 of that search are the 13 new releases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Tomato Project

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 6:07AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

For anyone who's looking for dwarf plants, at Tatiana's
main page, halfway down the page, under "Tomato Database -- Most Popular Links," you can select the third choice "view tomatoes by categories," then under "Tomatoes by Growth Habit," choose "Dwarf Tomatoes," which will take you to this list of 93 dwarf varieties.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™