'Dwarf' Mango plants at Lowes

bihai(zone 9)March 16, 2006

I was at Lowes yesterday looking for something and they had a shipment of "dwarf" Mango trees they were selling for about $30. Unfortunately they weren't quite "dwarf" enough, the tags said they still get 25-30 ft tall and 20 ft in width, still not quite the "patio mango" I would need for my greenhouse with the 20 ft ceiling.

They also had a listed hardiness of 32F which makes then almost certain to get killed outdoors here when we have a hard freeze to the 20's.

But, its a start...maybe we will see some of the smaller, true "dwarves" appear soon!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Doesn't matter. With proper pruning practices, you can keep the mango well within the boundaries of your greenhouse.

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 12:10PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Bihai
That would be true but a "dwarf"would be a much better choice. There are many types and cultivars which produce different tasting fruit and will produce at a much smaller size.
Ask Lisa over in the Florida forum she 's a nut for "dwarf" fruit trees. She can tell you sizes and names of the cultivars and a source.
gary

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 4:52AM
rene_strato_net

I bought a Nam Doc Thai patio mango at Lowes at 1/2 price a week or so ago [14.99] The tag says it gets to be 15'X 15'

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 9:33AM
stanofh

The NamDoc's and the Manila's and all of that type are dwarf when grown in a container.Sort of. Four-five years of being in a pot holds them down to 6-9'. Pruning keeps them that way. But,they do bare tasty ,small Mangoe's ripening in late summer .
Mangoes grown where they don't grow are sure to A-maze.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™