Annona questions

Nick2442January 24, 2014

Hi folks -- this is my first question here. I have a farm in rural Thailand and have been thinking about trying to plant cherimoyas there. Does anyone have any experience in growing these in a truly tropical climate? We're close to the Mekong River, so it's not quite as humid and tropical as Bangkok, but the cold season only gets down to 10 or 12 C (at night).

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the Poshte or Ilama?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Annona cherimola (cherimoya) is not a true tropical, but likes cool, mountains to grow. I have one in central Florida and is alive, but not thriving for 12 years. Ilama does much better for me as it is a lowland tropical. I recommend ilama for you.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:10AM
Nick2442

good to know, guess I won't try. How about tree tomatoes? Have you given them a go in Central Florida?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:38AM
Nick2442

I really am curious what people think about the lesser-known Annonas: soncoya, ilama, poshte, things like that. Are any of these exceptional? If I plant them in the same 2-acre area will they all cross-pollinate each other and produce bizarre fruit?

I love custard apples, but was disappointed by the soursop -- it grows very well in Thailand, produces buckets of fruit, but no one, including myself, cares for it very much.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:50AM
jalilu(Sunset Zone 23/24)

Hi Nick

Why don't you try growing Atemoya, as it is a hybrid of the sugar apple and cherimoya, and more adapted to tropical areas.

Jalilu

Here is a link that might be useful: Atemoya

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Moringa O. seeds trade for tropical fruit ?
I have several dozen Moringa seeds, i already have...
greenman62
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™