Mango tree

HawaiiFruitGrowerJanuary 31, 2013

Yes went to lowes here in Maui tonight and came back home with a florigon mango tree!!!! I was in heaven because the had just brought in a new shipment from plant it Hawaii over on the big island, there were hundreds of trees, sapote, mango, lychee, citrus, avocado, sapodilla, guava, cainito, langsat, mangosteen, and many more!!! So my question is how is the florigon? From what you guys post on here it seems like a good cultivar, it's in a 3 gallon pot, around 3 1/2ft tall and has a huge flower panicle!! I felt like I was having a fruitgasmic is in there!! Only off set was that it costed 50 dollars, but hey if you want it you will spend whatever for it!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

That's a NICE looking mango tree...Congrats!!

I don't grow Florigon but below is a link I found from PIN.

Remember that taste is subjective. A good example of this is the Carrie mango, most people love them but I'm NOT a big fan and don't like the flavor (and I'm one of those that really love mangoes), so far Carrie is on my very short list of "don't like" list. I know I'm in the minority.

I'm sure you will like the florigon...you should be able to let it hold fruit in a couple of years once the tree gets a little bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery Mango Viewer...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 7:24

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 7:09AM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Hey thanks pulrv1!!! On the website it shows that it's a pretty good variety!! Ya unfortunately I know I will have to cut off the flowers due to the tree being to young! I wish my lowes would bring in the Hawaii varies like mapulehu or rapoza! Those are the beach hawaiii ones I've tasted!! But we will see how this tree does I'm going to grow it in a 27 gallon pot Ai hopefully it does well and fruits!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:26AM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

HFG - I've not tasted a Florigon, but some of the floridians who grow it really like it (from what I've heard)....and it seems to be a consistent producer, too....

MD

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:23PM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Mangodog thanks for the replay! That's great that the growers in Florida like it, here in Hawaii were no used to a full orange colored mango more the purple-ish orange yellow green kind of mangos! So hopefully it taste good!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Do any of you use grow light in winter time
I move all of my tropical fruits back in basement during...
ankur1016
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™