Calliandra emarginata

mskee(z6 MA)March 16, 2006

Hi all,

I hope I can get some help from this forum...I am obviously not in a tropical zone, but, I have a couple of Calliandra plants that I overwinter inside. One is Calliandra Emarginata, the other is Calliandra Surinamensis.

I am wondering if anyone can give me insight as to feeding/potting requirements? There is limited information on the web, throughout my searches. My Emarginata has produced several seedpods, too, which I hope to harvest.

Thanks for any help!

Emily

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Emily
Don't know if I can be of much help as I grow them outdoors one as a Bonsai and another as a yard plant a gold leaf form. Seems to be a bunch of different kinds and for the life of me can't remember which I have.Be kind I'm old lol.
They are very easy to grow here and I do nothing special for the yard plant.Don't even water it regularly.
The Bonsai is in compacted shagnum and i keep it regularly watered and in spring give it some 20-20-20. they aren't particularly cold sensitive but i don't like to encourage growth until spring mainly because i want it to stay under two feet.
Not much help I'm afraid Was hoping someone more knowledgeble would chime in.
i have a question for you. Do yours leaves fold at night.?? I've had the bonsai for over 15 years and just now noticed it lol I keep forgetting to check the yard plant for this .
gary

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 4:42AM
mskee(z6 MA)

Garyfla,
Thanks so much for your information. My 2 Calliandras have very different leaves--the red powder puff kind has the fern-like leaves you describe...I think they fold up at night!! I'll have to pay more attention to that! The pink one (the emarginata) has singular, ovate leaves. I'll try to post a picture later.
I actually fell in love with this plant while on vacation in FL a few years back. I'm constantly trying for some tropical plants to be part of my summer garden--it always brings comments!
I guess I'll try the middle-of-the-road approach with these two...feeding during growing season, watering when dry.
Thanks again,
Emily

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 11:04AM
birdsnblooms

Gary, my Calliandra folds its leaves as the day starts to end. They close as the sun goes down..if we're due for a storm and it's dark, the leaves close. During spring/summer when daylight is longer, leaves remain opened until night. Toni

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:27AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Amazing that I could go 15 years and never notice. lol.
I recently brought the bonsai one into the shadehouse to be part of my epi wall. I thought I'd way over watered lol.
Far more subtle than Marantas of Calatheas. They do it all day long and it's extreme so very noticeable.
Ah the wonders of nature!!
gary

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
HAVE: for trade
I have close to 2000 different kinds of tropicals for...
Angel_Hawk1975
Have Tropical Hib. "Splash" cuttings to trade
Anyone have any named tropical hibiscus cuttings? I...
irish_rose_grower
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™