Overwintering experiment worked

billjoebobMarch 7, 2010

I'm a tropical plant nut. For the first time they all survived overwintering. I do not have a basement, so I took a spare bedroom and emptied it out. This is how it worked. I potted up the following: Hibiscus, Alemanda, Tibouchina, Oleander, Desert rose, Brugmansia, and many gingers. Used regular old garden dirt.

I put them all in this spare bedroom Halloween weekend. I cut off the heat and pulled down the shades. Every two weeks I gave each a cup of water. I bought a thermometer and it read 50 degrees. If it got warmer, I cracked the windows.

March 1st, I took them all out and put them in my carport. Even with temps in the 50's/ high 30's, they are already coming back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcie_new(z8)

Congratulations!! So happy for you, it is such a great feeling to see that your efforts paid off.Now you are giving me an idea for next winter. Marcie

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Im glad that it worked for you! My hibiscus have been in half-dead mode all winter, and they always come back well in the spring. As long as they dont get a frost they do well, and sometimes they do see a frost and still come back (but very slowly) Im surprised the desert rose went dormant well for you since they look so tropical, but those bases do hold a lot of water, so I guess they dont mind being dry.

Congratulations and good luck!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
gribbleton
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™