Bird of Paradise cold hardy in 8b?

theseventhlegendMarch 26, 2007

I have 2 types of Bird of Paradise: Strelitzia reginae (orange/blue bird?) and the White BOP (not sure Botanical name). Which of the 2 is more cold hardy? I've read a mixture. It's been getting into the 80's already here in North Florida and we had a mild winter. My White birds look like they are going to give new leafs but my Reginae hasn't shown me anything new yet. All the trunks seem strong.... but stems seem a bit mushy on the ends, more solid towards the trunk. They're sheilded from the winter wind.

Also are there any other Bird of Paradise that will do well in my zone? Maybe Heliconia?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

From personal experience, Strelitzia Reginae (orange), is more hardy than Nicolai(white). They are side by side in my yard and the white bird got its leaves burned to a crisp in early Dec. during a 3 day Arctic front with temps at 24, 25, and 26 for lows. The orange bird showed little damage. The white bird is now about to bloom and has put out several new leaves. My orange one blooms toward the end of summer. Finding an area in your yard with frost protection in a southern exposure would help.

Steve

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 2:05PM
theseventhlegend

My white BoP's leaves have started curling again. I transplanted it about 1 month ago FROM a location where it got 1/2 day morning sun, 1/2 day shade/sun (mulched) TO a location where it gets mostly full sun (mulched). After the transplant the leaves curled (shock?) but then flattened out after a week or so.

Now a month since the leaves flattened they started to curl again. Our temps have been mild lately (mid 70's to mid 80's) and we've been in a drought in north FL. However with the soil mulched and watering a fair amount I would think something may be wrong. The temps did drop to low 40's recently... so that may be it. OR maybe it's getting too much sun? I wouldn't think it isnt's the sun cause the leaves flattened out after the transplant and it was hotter then and in full sun. There is new grow, leaves are mostly green. Any ideas?

Also it seems my Orange Bird survived the winter and a new stem is coming up. Just trimmed back the old one's some more cause they looked very black (but not mushy).

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 8:55PM
gaza(10 la CA)

i agree orange is hardier,and easier to cover,due to its smaller size.
try it!,it has been grown on the s coast of england,which is zone 8 i think

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:06PM
theseventhlegend

Anyone know why my White Bird's leaves are curling? The plant still looks green and seems to be growing.

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™