Pomatoes?

Edymnion(7a)February 6, 2013

Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually made a pomato (tomato grafted onto potato rootstock) plant before?

I'm going to have plenty of extra blue tomato and blue potato plants this year, so I'm thinking "What they heck, lets get grafting!"

Wondering how the productivity is, considering its one plant trying to store energy in both fruit above ground and tubers below ground at the same time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I've never grafted anything, but I've read that potato fruit (sometimes referred to as potato berries) are pretty rare, unless you're planting Yukon Gold.

So I'm not sure how many tomatoes you'd get. Maybe more on Yukon Gold rootstock? But then again, perhaps your blue potato variety also has a high fruiting rate. You won't know till you try, so go for it!

[In case people don't know, potato fruit are poisonous. And potatoes never come true from seed -- but that's how new varieties are developed.]

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 11:29AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I assume you have read the current discussion about this over on the Vegetable Gardening forum?

Dave

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 12:59PM
Edymnion(7a)

Yup, I'm watching both of them.

Figured there would be people in each forum that didn't visit the other though, so I'd get better luck with two threads. One aimed at the tomato people, and one aimed at the potato people. =)

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:23PM
RachelGee

Could someone post the link to the Discussion going on in the Vegetable gardening forum? I cannot find it. Much thanks!
I really want to try to do this.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 5:46PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I know tha basics of that kind of grafting.
You have the two seedlings side by side.
Make small cuts (partial removal of stems. Then wrap them together until they kind of weld together.
Then cut off the top of one(potato) and the stem of the other one(Tomato). Now you have top of tomato and root of potato.
But it is easier to be said than done, I think.

Potato berry can produce seeds(like tomato seeds) If you plant them you will get potato plant.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:21PM
farmerdill

Nevr tried the actually grafting, but the pomato was a standard advertisement in the Sunday supplements (newspapers) in the 60's and 70's. The one I remember that named the varieties used the Subarctic tomato grafted onto a Red Norland potato

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™