How to sow these?

ElinSweMarch 14, 2013

Hello!
I have gotten a few seeds of Bauhinia yunnanensis and Grewia occidentalis, but donôt know really how to sow them.
Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Yes - google each one and you will find information to help you be a success with these seeds.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:02PM
ElinSwe

Of course I already tried google. Didnôt find anything about sowing them anyway...
Isnôt there anyone who has sown these?
Would really appreciate any help. :)

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:45AM
ianbrazil(11)

You may have problems getting information as neither of these is very common. What I do if I can't find any information is find out where in the world these plants occur naturally. The Bauhinia is from China and the Grewia is S African. It's worth noting, however, that both species are found in mountainous regions so they are probably adapted to cold conditions. The Grewia is said to be hardy.
I would stratify (pre-chill) this seed before sowing it. Put it in damp sand, seal in a polythene bag and place in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. If your weather is still cold you could sow in pots out of doors still.
Another important factor is the size of the seed, as this will determine depth at which it should be sown. The larger the seed the deeper it needs to be. A rule of thumb is sow at the same depth as the diameter of the seed. If the seed is very small, sow on the surface and just press in. Good luck. - Ian.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:14PM
ElinSwe

Thank you for answering!
The Bauhinia I put in a glas filled with water two days ago. I already see changes with the seeds.
Today I planted it and have it about 20 degrees Celsius.

Grewia occidentalis I also have recently planted, and have it in the same place as the bauhinia, but if nothing comes up within 5-6 weeks I will definetly try to stratify those. :)

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™