Do you have a favorite plant form?

shiollie(z5 MI)March 14, 2007

I am repainting my kitchen and had to put all my plants in another room where they are a bit crowded and I noticed that most of the plants are very similiar in form.. mostly the big (or small) arching leaves like the bananas or BOPs, I seem to be very attracted to this form right down to the ponytail palm.

So how about you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbcoleus(z10 Cape Coral,Fl)

I don't think this is what you meant but I really like big, gaudy vivid flowers. Interesting leaves are OK but that's about it for me.
Barb

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 3:46PM
shiollie(z5 MI)

Hi Barb, actually it is what I meant :). For you, the flowers are the form, most of what I have are non flowering plants so I tend to look at the graceful arching of the leaves which is another form.This was confirmed today when I received the 3 Dicksonia Antarctica (tree ferns) which have the same arching frond habit.

I would like to hear from others too!
(I know I am NOT the only one who has noticed this "trend" in myself)

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 6:24PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have noticed that I like large leaved plants. Bananas, monstera, splitleaf philodendron, some brugs sorta have big leaves, BOP, heliconia etc.
I also like vines or anything I can tie up and make like a vine (like indian night jasmine- posed to be tree-like but I tie it up a bamboo trellis).
Of course Im crazy about night bloomers and anything fragrant in general (although not quite a form lol).
~SJN

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 12:52PM
tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)

I like big leaves. Lushness in a planting. And bright bold colors in flowers.

Tropicalfreaks

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 8:38PM
aloysia

I love strange and unusual flowers, colours, foliage and can't get enough of it.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 6:07AM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I like big leaves because they look tropical. I like gaudy colorful flowers. And I LOVE variegated foliage! Form doesn't matter to me much, except I'm not crazy about dangly, floppy plants, although a hanging basket is OK if it's bushy enough.

However, from a practical standpoint, I'm running out of room, and I have figured out that I can squash in more plants if they are upright rather than arching or sprawling.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 9:24AM
ankraras(8/9AZ)

Generally, I have no preference but tend to favor ones that produces exotic blossoms or fragrance which entices me daily in the garden. Plants heighten my spirits and creativity which I belive should hold no bounds.

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 12:06AM
shiollie(z5 MI)

I agree with all of the above.. guess thats why we hang out in all the " tropical plants' forums. :)
I really need a greenhouse!

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 1:30PM
protempsfish

I tend to go crazy in stages! Wife would concur about not just the plants. I am now on a palm kick. I love the tropical look of a palm, but before that was my banana kick. Looked for, researched and purchased many bana plants. Before that it was the nepenthes. After many tries, I only found one that I could keep indoors successfully. Before that-the alocasia/colocasia look. I still love all these plants, but I seem to have a new fetish every year!

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 4:45PM
shiollie(z5 MI)

protempsfish, I understand!! I do the same thing, but I kind figure that my next "craze" is because I have learned about the last one to where I can keep it alive for multiple seasons.. therefore... on to the next!
This year it is tree ferns and bat flowers.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 6:10PM
beth7happy

i love it all ....even with container gardens...i tend to mix pointy grasses with round, fat leaves --- vivid coleus with wispy dill or fennel ...roses mixed with brugs and dats...eggplant next to roses??? and milkweed and salvia wherever it lands..... it's a good thing I live in Florida because you just never know what's going to hit the dirt next.......

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 10:50PM

Yes, I get obsessive about certain kinds of plants for several years. Then when I master their culture, it's on to something else for a new challenge. Started as a kid with basic low light houseplants, then as a teen with african violets, then as a young single with big foliage plants to fill up a home with little furniture. Then to a house with a sunny yard where I could have a pond with water plants, and grow tropical hibiscus. Then onto big-leaved tropicals. With a detour to a career taking care of interior landscapes. Not sure where I'm heading now - maybe orchids?...

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 8:18AM
palmpunk(z6b SE MI)

as seen from my screenname, my #1 obsession is palms. The large, lush tropical-looking foliage is very appealing to me. That obsession has led me to grow bananas, as well of cannas. I am now on my canna kick this year, as I intend to try 3 rare varieties from plant delights to add to my collection of the 4 or 5 varieties I already have. I think it's amazing that as tropical as these things look and rated to zone 7b, they still survive in ground here in Michigan zone 6b.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 8:52AM

You must have better drained soil than I do. I've tried many varieties of canna, and Red King Humbert is the only one to winter over outside here in a mild winter - not sure about this past cold one - I'll know in a couple of months. Any secret tricks you use?

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 10:45PM
spiritualcipher

Ive got a real thing for the large leaf plants. I have 2 five-foot Spath Sensations, 1 two-foot Sensation, 4 Bird of Paradise and a host of others with large leafs. Im totally running out of room, but they just keep calling me with thier beauty...

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
Very unusual interesting plant starting to flower
I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd put it here...
tropicbreezent
Need help identifying this plant
Hi! I have this long flowering plant with orange yellow...
audreydychua
My wee lychee: what does it need
I have a lychee sapling, that I grew from a grocery-store...
tamtrible
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Teak Step Stool
Serena & Lily
Ivy Ledge Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. 6-Light Black Plant Accent LED Spotlight
$12.99 | Home Depot
Jaipur Nadia Shag Area Rug - RUG103133
$99.00 | Hayneedle
5-foot Golden Cane Palm Tree
Overstock.com