suppliers of organic or untreated seeds?

irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)February 1, 2012

I want to buy sungold and some heirloom seeds. I heard that some places treat the seeds with some chemicals?? I was hoping to get organic seeds. Anyone have any sources, i did an internet search and not much came up.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

'Organic' and 'untreated' are 2 different things. Many places sell untreated seeds. In fact the vast majority of seeds sold are untreated and even when treated are offered (they do have advantages and many of us wish more were available) they are labeled as such and untreated seed of the same variety is usually also offered.

So if you are looking untreated seeds then you can order from most any vendor and just check the listing for the "Treated Seed" tag before ordering it. If in doubt the vendor will always tell you if it is or not.

If you want organic seed then there are not as many vendors since the demand for it is low. Even certified organic growers are not required to use organic seed. Baker Creek is one source, Johnny's Seeds is another. Seeds of Change is one of the biggest.

The link below lists several organic seed vendors.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: organic seed vendors

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™