Is my Loquat Tree dead?

stuart_2008(7 GA)March 10, 2009

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a loquat tree. It came with the house and is probably 10 or 15 years old, 20 feet tall, fully mature. It is an evergreen and should have a tree full of leaves. It started having problems last Spring and the number of leaves and live branches started being reduced. I believe it was the victim of a yellow-bellied sap sucker as I saw it pecking on it last winter and sap was really coming out of it. This winter I covered the trunk with tarp and no further damage was done. However, the tree has continued to lose leaves and now only has maybe 2% of the leaves it should have and these may dry up in a few weeks. When I scrape some of the bark back I do see some green in the inner bark. It appears this tree is dead or dieing. I see no new leaves beginning to pop up and no sign of life other than the green in the inner bark.

Is there any chance that this tree snaps out of it and produces new leaves and is able to survive? What are your thoughts? I purchased a new tree and I would like to put it in the ground asap. If the loquat is going to die, I want the new tree to go in its spot. Otherwise, it would go elsewhere (i.e., I don't want to wait forever to see if the Loquat bounces back).

Please advise.

More Discussions
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Very unusual interesting plant starting to flower
I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd put it here...
tropicbreezent
Coffee plants
Just took a close look at the two coffee trees in the...
apg4
What is this plant?
We just bought a house in Boynton Beach Florida that...
splats
Need ID please
Can anyone identify this tiny tropical plant, please?...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Sponsored Products
Rocker Lounge Chair in White
$160.00 | LexMod
Palm Tree Doorbell Ringer
Signature Hardware
The Supremes II Outdoor Art
Grandin Road
Hinkley Lighting Flood Lights. Low Voltage LED Bronze 75W Equivalent Cast Alumin
Home Depot
Mango Side Tables - Set of 2
$489.99 | Dot & Bo
Possini Euro Design Wrapped Wire 14" Wide Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Wire Corner Triple Shower Basket
TheBathOutlet
AXO Light | Nafir 1 Light Pendant Light
$340.20 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™