mangosteen flower bud?

BeanLadyJanuary 3, 2013

I bought what I was told is a Mangosteen at the last plant sale of the Hillsboro Jail. After several mishaps(sun burned leaves,all leaves dropped after left to dry out) it has come around fairly well. The top had to be cut after the infamous drying out event. It is not very tall and I keep it in the house or sun room most of the year. I put it outside in summer where it gets AM sun, but not the hot afternoon sun. After all that, I have what I am hoping is a flower bud??? I hope the photo is clear enough for someone to give me a definative answer. I am sure that it will not survive long, so I took pics right away. Thanks for any help and information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BeanLady

I hope this works for the photos
C:\Users\LLOYD\Pictures\2013-01-03 MANGOSTEEN FLOWER\MANGOSTEEN FLC:\Users\LLOYD\Pictures\2013-01-03 MANGOSTEEN FLOWER\MANGOSTEEN FLOWER 003.JPGOWER 001.JPG

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:50AM
tropicdude

Mine are still to small to flower, but that does look like a flower bud. good luck, and gratz

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 3:30PM
tropicbreezent

Do you have a photo of the whole plant? Normally Mangosteens take from about 8 up to 20 years to flower, where the climate is right. While they're young they should be kept mostly shaded. Once they get to about 5 years or more they can be slowly hardened to full sun. They should never dry out but still have good drainage.

Good luck with that bud and keep us posted on how it turns out.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:06PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Sorry...what you have is not a mangosteen. More like the male bloom of garcinia livingstonei(Imbe).

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™