What tropical fruits will survive in ground zone 8?

bevo2000(Dallas: 8)January 27, 2010

Hello All,

I love tropical fruits of all types, but I live in zone 8. I would love to know what tropical fruits you have successfully growned, or are now growing, in the ground (with frost protection in the winter)? Please share your experience.

Thanks,

Dustin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
senilefelines(6-7)

While looking at the other thread, it seems that many of these bananas will survive very cold climates.

http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 12:03PM
andrew78(6)

You should be able to grow figs in the ground in zone 8.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 2:09PM
mango_kush

none, because zone 8 is not Tropical. :)

i would stick with stone fruits, peaches, plums etc.

pomegranates, figs, persimmon, pawpaw off the top of my head

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 2:13PM
mostro(jax/9a)

Hi Bevo2000:
I live in Florida zone 9a and I also love tropical fruit trees. I can tell you that tropical fruits are not cold hardy, but many of them can tolerate extended periods of very cool temperatures without any problems. So, as long as you provide them with freeze protection, they can thrive in your areaÂ

IÂve had success with mangos, avocados, citrus, pineapples, tropical guavas, sapodillas, and Barbados cherry. Citrus and avocados can differ quite a bit in cold tolerance depending on variety.

You can also try things like loquats, pomegranates, pineapple guavas, olives, kiwi, and pawpaw (asemina triloba). These are more subtropical in origin, but are more tropical-like than temperate fruits. This last group should be able to make it in zone 8 without protection, if you get the hardier varieties.

As I said before, I live in Florida, places like California are a different story. The spring and summer in FL are hot and humid and makes tropical trees feel right at home.

Where do you live?

Good luckÂ

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 2:33PM
bevo2000(Dallas: 8)

Thanks all for your responses. Mostros, I live in Dallas. I am going to try jackfruit this summer and protect it in the winter. I also believe the feijoa and the strawberry guava will make it with frost protection.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 4:22PM
tammysf(9b/10a or sz15/16)

I think jackfruit is one of the harder to grow. I have a jackfruit seedling that got fried even though it was more protected than my mango trees and cherimoya.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 4:58PM
luigi_13(7b)

Hi Bevo2000,
I'm growing feijoas for 20 years now, and they survived freezes of about -15°C in some winters without any kind of protection, and without any leaf drop even. They bear heavily (with hand pollination) if two varieties are grown. The branches, however, are as fragile as glass, and snow can crack them.
Strawberry guava is more tender, and need protection here, but they bear annually.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 5:36PM
mango_kush

i dont even think feijoa and strawberry guava would need frost protection, what were your lows this year?

if youre going to protect a jackfruit from cold, i would recommend Black Gold. see the jackfruit lovers thread for harrys pics

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 5:43PM
mostro(jax/9a)

Figs, mulberries, and bananas can be ok too...

If the tropical fruit tree can handle long periods of cool weather (not freezing conditions), it can probably be grown with freeze protection on the very few days that actually freeze. It's all about planning ahead and realizing that freezes will come and if you are not prepared, your trees will die...

Trees must be maintained small (at least under 8 ft), be in good health, and be properly protected...

I am planting a Jackfruit and a mamey sapote this year, we'll see how they do...

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 6:07PM
bevo2000(Dallas: 8)

Base on your feedback so far, I will definitely try feijoa and strawberry guava this summer. This is mainly because I love the taste of guava in general.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 6:18PM
tammysf(9b/10a or sz15/16)

Feijoa is easy. I grew up with one here in norcal. Never watered, fertilized, protected, pruned etc. My dad has done nothing with it but every year we get tons of fruit.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 6:39PM
andrew78(6)

I never thought of olives before BUT they should be excellent candidates. I know there are new varieties that Pine offers that are supposed to have fewer chill hours. I wish I could have one here but it would never fruit and definetly not hardy outdoors. Our winters are too cold for WAY TO LONG!!!
Andrew

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™